Jedi_Knight

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Non traditional student here. Does a political internship benefit in a med school application?
I was offered one with a US Senator re election campaign? 10 hrs weekly

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
sounds great they like to see leadership

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Can't hurt, unless it's Sen. Ted Cruz.
Non traditional student here. Does a political internship benefit in a med school application?
I was offered one with a US Senator re election campaign? 10 hrs weekly

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Given two candidates with the same numbers and basics, I'll be more excited to interview the one who was directly involved in an election. That's much bigger than med school.

But be cautious about getting a letter of recommendation. If the senator can't personally vouch for you based on direct interactions with you, that's not an LOR. A letter from a campaign official (or the senator) would be letter #4 with most schools only wanting to see 3 letters.

Go nuts.

Reactions: Goro and Crayola227
OP
J

Jedi_Knight

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay. However, I am almost 40 and years ago was involved in politics. I was involved in campaigns, personally knew the President of the state Senate. But these connections are old and many have passed away.

I'm currently an assistant Girl Scouts troop leader. The challenge is that I'm also a single parent of 3 kids.
How much volunteering do I need to do? My doctor said I should volunteer at nursing homes also.

Food pantry volunteer?

How many hours do the schools want to see aa volunteering/ internships?

Given two candidates with the same numbers and basics, I'll be more excited to interview the one who was directly involved in an election. That's much bigger than med school.

But be cautious about getting a letter of recommendation. If the senator can't personally vouch for you based on direct interactions with you, that's not an LOR. A letter from a campaign official (or the senator) would be letter #4 with most schools only wanting to see 3 letters.

Go nuts.

Go nuts.

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
if that is you in your picture, might I suggest changing it to protect your anonymity?

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
if you have plenty of community/humanity service in your story, you don't need to do more to get into med school.

for med school focus on clinical exposure activities. paid or unpaid doesn't really matter. nursing home exposure is one of about a thousand variants and imho it's less relevant than acute inpatient or outpatient.

Reactions: Goro

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Can't hurt, unless it's Sen. Ted Cruz.
OMG, I needed a good laugh today. Priceless response and so so true.

Reactions: Goro