Do non medical internships benefit admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jedi_Knight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non traditional student here. Does a political internship benefit in a med school application?
I was offered one with a US Senator re election campaign? 10 hrs weekly

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Given two candidates with the same numbers and basics, I'll be more excited to interview the one who was directly involved in an election. That's much bigger than med school.

But be cautious about getting a letter of recommendation. If the senator can't personally vouch for you based on direct interactions with you, that's not an LOR. A letter from a campaign official (or the senator) would be letter #4 with most schools only wanting to see 3 letters.

Go nuts.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay. However, I am almost 40 and years ago was involved in politics. I was involved in campaigns, personally knew the President of the state Senate. But these connections are old and many have passed away.

I'm currently an assistant Girl Scouts troop leader. The challenge is that I'm also a single parent of 3 kids.
How much volunteering do I need to do? My doctor said I should volunteer at nursing homes also.

Food pantry volunteer?

How many hours do the schools want to see aa volunteering/ internships?

Given two candidates with the same numbers and basics, I'll be more excited to interview the one who was directly involved in an election. That's much bigger than med school.

But be cautious about getting a letter of recommendation. If the senator can't personally vouch for you based on direct interactions with you, that's not an LOR. A letter from a campaign official (or the senator) would be letter #4 with most schools only wanting to see 3 letters.

Go nuts.

Go nuts.

if you have plenty of community/humanity service in your story, you don't need to do more to get into med school.

for med school focus on clinical exposure activities. paid or unpaid doesn't really matter. nursing home exposure is one of about a thousand variants and imho it's less relevant than acute inpatient or outpatient.

Reactions: 1 user
if that is you in your picture, might I suggest changing it to protect your anonymity?

I did change the picture. Thanks for pointing it out. I didnt know this was an anonymous forum.

Reactions: 1 user