Do Ob-Gyn residency programs look down on pregnant interviewees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc734

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband and I are thinking of getting pregnant during 4th year of med school, since I'll have tons of free time to take care of a newborn and then start residency. Do Ob-Gyn residency programs look down on pregnant applicants? I would think NO, since, after all, it is Ob-Gyn, but I don't want to assume this and then realize that my baby bump affected my chance of matching into my #1 spot.

The other option is getting pregnant during residency, of course, but I almost think this WOULD be looked down on because Ob-Gyn programs rely on their residents a lot, and most don't accept that many to begin with. I would assume (again, this is my opinion but I'd like more info on the subject) that having children already would not be such a big deal.

Thank you for answering my questions! :)

Members don't see this ad.

No, they look up 'em.

That's all I've got.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's looked down upon much anymore. In fact, having a baby bump may really make you memorable amongst the other applicants! Instant conversation starter and bonding with other residents with babies!

In my ob/gyn interview trail this past year many program directors and residents went out of their way to tell me how accommodating they are to their pregnant residents (even without soliciting any plans for babies in the future...). Although I mainly interviewed at community programs, I found that having a family during residency was something that was very open in conversations among residents, directors, and fellow applicants.

If not pregnant come interview time, it may be helpful to ask residents at each program which PGY is the hardest/most intense. It's not always intern year! I was surprised to hear many programs (including the one I matched to) respond that PGY2 year is the hardest.... may help in your "planning". However, as I've been told by many women attendings, there is not "best time" to have a baby, but there are times when it's a little more difficult, but never impossible.

Also, in my opinion, if an ob/gyn program looks down upon an applicant for a baby bump, that's not a place you'd want to rank #1 :) Best of luck to you!

It is not frowned upon but to be honest it makes things quite difficult for the other residents when someone is out on maternity leave. The best year (if there is one) is probably the third year when alot of programs have elective time for their residents which would be a good time for maternity leave. I have seen other programs when they have multiple pregnant residents and it is hard. Also, with the new duty hour rules for interns, it is making things even more difficult. I am not saying that you cannot have children during residency, but if you go in that direction, make sure that you have a great support system, or else you will have problems. If I had to choose for you, I would suggest you have a baby before residency. A resident's job is hard enough but to care for a newborn at the same time is difficult, but OBGYN residents are a tough bunch and if any one can handle it, they can.

It is not frowned upon but to be honest it makes things quite difficult for the other residents when someone is out on maternity leave. The best year (if there is one) is probably the third year when alot of programs have elective time for their residents which would be a good time for maternity leave. I have seen other programs when they have multiple pregnant residents and it is hard. Also, with the new duty hour rules for interns, it is making things even more difficult. I am not saying that you cannot have children during residency, but if you go in that direction, make sure that you have a great support system, or else you will have problems. If I had to choose for you, I would suggest you have a baby before residency. A resident's job is hard enough but to care for a newborn at the same time is difficult, but OBGYN residents are a tough bunch and if any one can handle it, they can.

What about being in the residency interview trail while pregnant? Does this affect your chances of matching, or how the residency program views you as a future resident?

Being pregnant during interview is a GREAT IDEA!!! They know you will Deliver before residency (hopefully) so you won't need time off for maternity leave :laugh:.

I personally feel that PGY1 year will be a bit tougher. Reason being is because you are trying to get use to a certain hospital culture. Sometimes... events may be brutal. You will feel lost, you won't know AS MUCH ob/gyn so performing certain tasks might be a bit challenging.

I also agree that PGY2 is still hard, but yet better than pgy1 since you will have SOME more knowledge and you will KNOW the staff... especially nurses.

I usually sit for interview process with the program director and chairman but it doesn't matter to us whether or not they are pregnant. The important point we focused on was...

1. Is this individual able to work along side the other residents?
2. Is this individual a team player?
3. Is this individual a hard worker and want to improve himself/herself
4. Unfortunately... we have to make sure people pass all their board exams.
5. How well does the individual express his/her ideas... how well do they communicate?

These are NOT guidelines for other residency programs look for. These are some things MY program look at. But I do feel safe to say that majority of residency program will focus on those area as well.

Like the previous poster mentioned... if a program have a problem with you being pregnant --> pick another program.

My recommendation...
A. Get pregnant 4th year medical student
B. Get pregnant end of 2nd or 3rd year of residency (if you want 2)

Enjoy!

We have had one or two pregnant applicants and it did not affect them on the match list at all. We actually matched with one of them.