Do optometrist who pursue residency get paid more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XWing5000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
And are residencies competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No you don't get paid more.

I wouldn't say they are ultra competitive.

Doing a residency is for if you want to work in a specific setting that requires them like academics, VA, Indian health etc. Or want to "specialize" in something like contact lenses but really you can learn as you go on some of that stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
I’d actually disagree. I think those with residencies are able to negotiate a higher starting pay due to them taking an additional year.

I’ve also met several ODs that applied for residencies that didn’t get a seat... but I think that all depends on what type of residency you’d like to do. For example doing a cornea/medical ctl residency is a pretty coveted since there’s only 23 programs that take 1-2 people for the whole nation.

Also yes you can still be a really good ctl fitter but I think there’s a learning curve to some of the skills- doing a residency can get you over that hump a lot faster than you just trying to learn it on your own. Let’s say you decided not to pursue a ctl residency and out of school it might take you 10 visits to properly fit a patient but if you did a residency you might be able to do it in 2. That in itself will also mean you’ll make more having done a residency than not.

I just think it depends on what type of person you are. I know I’m pretty lazy so teaching myself the skills probably wouldn’t happen lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've hired 5 OD's, some residency trained, some not.I weigh 1 year experience to equal a residency.In fact,interpersonal skill is a greater value than being exposed to slightly more unique cases possibly.

Some students are ready for private practice,some need a residency to develop further.

You can HOPE for more compensation but the reality is in most cases it won't matter

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll follow up my post with are they WORTH more? Yes most likely,residents are good students and a higher percentage of them will simply be better at patient care.A residency will definitely aid you in getting a job but higher pay will be based on ones production,interpersonal skill and willingness to work hard and be a patient advocate.