DO ortho residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnthestreak

master of disaster
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone had any information on the DO ortho residencies. Which are good or which ones should I stay away from.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'll try to field this question the best I can. However, "good" and "bad" get thrown around a lot along with "best" ect. But, it all depends on what you are looking for. I toured the scene last year, so I'll tell a little about the places that I have been. You can decide if they are good or bad.

Kansas City: Linked program took 3 last year. Good ole boy system get in early and often. Show up to the journal clubs and tuesday morning meetings. Great residents Lots of OR time. Attendings are OK. They have weak didactics and you have to drive a lot. Go out of house for trauma. Used to be Las Vegas, but I believe it is somewhere else now.

Dayton OH: Linked program not sure how many they took. They have strong didactics and good OR time. Residents are great. Go to Tampa to train with a premier trauma surgeon.

Des Peres: Linked Program took two this year. Focus more on board scores than rotating through. Strong didactics with most residents in the 90%+ on the OITE's They are intimately related to SLU to the point where a few spots are actually funded by SLU. Trauma is at SLU. Peds is at Cardinal Glennon. Residents are cool. Program Director is Richard Howard (Look at the front pages of your Tarescon pocket ortho book, or the new Miller review hand section). OR time is good.

Second hand, I know about Mt. Clemmons another linked program that seems strong from who I talked to. Took 2 this year.

Bi county Heard from my friends who were accepted this year that the didactics are OK and the OR time is good. Not sure about the residents. my friend rocks though. :smuggrin:

I hope this helped a little, but a lot of people get different feels from certain programs. The places that I rotated through would have all been "good" choices for me. I wanted a good volume with nice people around. All three fit that bill. Most DO programs go out of house for Trauma so don't let that scare you. The experience they get is almost alway alot better away. The guy's from University of Washington said the most important thing in an ortho residency is volume. Everything else is minor.