do ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blindpass

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I am interested in this field. Great step and complex. Now what do I need to do in year3 to get in? When do you start setting up 4th year electives? Also I must say I have no interest in GS because don't like those surgeries or workup. And don't like nonop sports medicine because feel the treatments are very limited beyond phys therapy. So don't even know what specialty would be my backup

Members don't see this ad.

Set up rotations asap. I know of a few programs who will not take or even interview you if you haven't rotated. Ask your advisors/look at the program site.

Do well on ALL of your 3rd year rotations. For now try to figure out where you want to rotate based on location, advice from upperclassman, places where you have the best chance to match, etc. Then in december e-mail the the programs to set up rotations for next year...by then you should have your school's 4th year schedule as well. I would try to do as many 4 week rotations as possible to increase your chances of matching as a lot of DO programs don't interview/seriously consider people who did not rotate with them (there are exceptions).

Once you have your audition rotations set up, study and rock step 2! Before you start your audition rotations and AFTER step 2, get netter's concise orthopedic anatomy and handbook of fractures. Get very familiar with hip, distal radius, ankle, and proximal humerus fractures and their treatment/classification. Learn how to read x-rays, what to look for, how to describe fractures.

E-mail people who have matched/upperclassman on how to excel on ortho rotations, where they rotated/interviewed/matched, what those programs look for, how they prepared for those rotations, etc.

Thank you for the advice! I am still not sure if I want to do ortho