DO Orthopedic Away Rotation Updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JointsMan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the orthopedic google sheet is dedicated mainly to MD Orthopedic applicants and programs. Therefore, I am creating this thread to hopefully pool together an updated status on each DO Orthopedic program as it relates to their decision on away rotations at their site.

All I know currently is that Franciscan Health (Olympia Fields) has informed students they are not accepting away rotations for the 2020-2021 academic year.

Members don't see this ad.

Good call.

Oklahoma State is still accepting rotators. Hit me up for info or if you need a plug

Reactions: 2 users
University Hospitals in Cleveland is going to re-evaluate the climate in August. For now not scheduling students, but the plan is to schedule students after August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like Grandview is allowing rotations in the summer as long as you do a 2 week quarantine in Dayton before starting the rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
For the DO's applying this year, what advice are you being given about doing auditions this Summer/Fall? I have 4 scheduled, and was advised by my Dean to cancel all out of state auditions in order to be in compliance with the AAMC Residency Program Director's consensus statement. I don't have a home program. Will doing an out of state away be held against me as a DO applicant? Should I try to do a virtual audition?

I know with DO programs that if you do not rotate, you do not have much of a shot. Is that going to be the case this year?

For the DO's applying this year, what advice are you being given about doing auditions this Summer/Fall? I have 4 scheduled, and was advised by my Dean to cancel all out of state auditions in order to be in compliance with the AAMC Residency Program Director's consensus statement. I don't have a home program. Will doing an out of state away be held against me as a DO applicant? Should I try to do a virtual audition?

I know with DO programs that if you do not rotate, you do not have much of a shot. Is that going to be the case this year?

Don’t think your dean read the consensus statement correctly, pretty sure if you don’t have a home program (DO or not) you’re good to do aways. I’m at a branch campus of a school that has An affiliated ortho residency and even we are considered an “orphan” school

Heard of a lot of programs cancelling. hit me up if you need advice. You guys are in a tough spot this year.

Reactions: 1 users
UH regional in Cleveland will be taking 4 students per month, September through December.