Do osteopathic schools offer financial aid packages/scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stormcloakdoctor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of the students I know who have been accepted to MD schools have also been awarded a sizable amount of financial aid directly from the school - anywhere from less than a quarter tuition to a half or more.

Do osteopathic schools offer these types of awards, whether based on merit or other factors? I have stats that are a good amount higher than the school I intend on going to, but there hasn't been any news on this.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
lots of national scholarships based on states, if you want to practice rural, or if you are underrepresented in medicine. Very few offer scholarships for merit.

Mine does and it's a new school.

Loans yes, grants and scholarships are more difficult to come by. I know I wasn't offered anything but I'm not a great student either. MD schools seem more generous in this regard.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t hold your breath for anything merit based. There’s rural/underserved and diversity based scholarships that are available from any school. There’s also osteopathic commitment type scholarships which seem to reward people who do a bunch of omm stuff and kiss omm faculty butt. Basically popularity contests based on how many pointless garbage things you can join/put up with (not worth it IMO).

MD schools will put up money to recruit high caliber applicants with the hope that they’ll make their match list look better, get involved in research, etc. These schools also have the money to spare to do this.

DO schools honestly don’t care if their entire class matched into primary care in the middle of nowhere. So there’s no incentive to try to recruit better applicants. They just need butts in the seats.

Reactions: 1 user
DO schools honestly don’t care if their entire class matched into primary care in the middle of nowhere. So there’s no incentive to try to recruit better applicants. They just need butts in the seats.
In fact, they probably prefer good/high GPA w/lower MCAT to guarantee a safer chance of that student matching primary care instead of gunning for more competitive specialties and going unmatched (hurts their rates/braggingf). At least that was my experience and that of my friends with low GPAs but high MCATS, and now in MD schools. On the other hand, friend #2 had identical ECs to friend #1 but higher GPA/much lower MCAT got over 6 DO As whereas me and friend #1 got none.

Last edited:
Don’t hold your breath for anything merit based. There’s rural/underserved and diversity based scholarships that are available from any school. There’s also osteopathic commitment type scholarships which seem to reward people who do a bunch of omm stuff and kiss omm faculty butt. Basically popularity contests based on how many pointless garbage things you can join/put up with (not worth it IMO).

MD schools will put up money to recruit high caliber applicants with the hope that they’ll make their match list look better, get involved in research, etc. These schools also have the money to spare to do this.

Hey all, thanks for the replies to this thread. I am indeed a high GPA/mid MCAT applicant, so that explains.

I was not offered any scholarships in my loan offer. It is what it is.