Do PA students practice on one another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rusalochkaa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering whether there is a requirement for students to practice skills on each other such as drawing blood. That honestly terrifies me. I'm usually ok drawing blood because I calm myself and say that a professional is doing it. I've had a terrible experience with a student phlebotomist once. They asked if I was ok with a student drawing my blood and I felt bad saying no, so I agreed. Well, she put the needle in and then she moved it around while it was in my vein!!! Ahhh. I passed out. Ever since then, I've had major anxiety about drawing blood! I'm not exactly keen on having students practice on me... I know it's not a life or death situation, but I wouldn't like to pass out again!

Members don't see this ad.

student practice physical assessment skills on each other. You MIGHT possibly practice procedural skills, like IV insertion/blood draw, but it should be voluntarily. My class had manikin IV procedural arms, but gave option for us to practice on each other. I wasn't about to let any of my classmates try on my haha