1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Path Programs accept COMLEX?

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by Kannen1979, May 10, 2008.

1. Hi, I'm a PGY-1 who just discovered (during a required path rotation) that I LOVE it. I would like to apply for 2009 (I'll be an FP resident for 2008-9), but I am a DO, and I have taken all three steps of the COMLEX (with good scores). I really, really don't want to have to go through the agony of taking USMLE--are there COMLEX friendly programs? I'm sure this question gets asked all the time but I didn't see a thread on it and it wasn't mentioned in the FAQ's.

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. green mantis

5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Your question is program-specific. I would call & ask the places that you're interested in.

I'm a DO, & I never took the USMLE. My program didn't have any problems w/ it. There were 2 other DO residents when I started, & 1 other one when I graduated. Currently, there are 2.

----- Antony

PS: Why would you drop out of FP when you only have 1 year left to go? From what I've heard from my classmates, 3rd year isn't that tough.

4. dermpathdoc

dermpathdoc DO Path
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You know it would be so good for this person with FP to go Path...AOA certification would really easy cause the FP would fulfill all requirements for priamry care/transitional rotations...for AOA Pathology Board certification...
    But I would encourage this resident to really be awar of what he/she wants. I am chair of the Osteopathic Board of Pathology and encourage all who want to learn about the Osteopathic Pathway of Patholgoy certification to email me
    at [email protected]

5. Thanks, that puts my mind at ease a bit.
    I am a PGY-1 in a traditional Osteopathic Internship. I applied to derm this past year but didn't get a spot and took FP to keep me busy next year while I reapply (I figured if I still didn't get Derm next year I could do a lot of derm stuff in FP). It would be 2 more years to finish FP, not one.
    I'm doing a path rotation now, because it is required by my program. I thought I would like it but I didn't expect to love it, (I am actually looking forward to Monday morning!) which is why I am looking into possibly applying next year in addition to reapplying for Derm. I could then do Dermpath either way, although I think I would be happy even if I didn't do a fellowship...I've been thinking about prostate biopsies and Gleason Scores all morning.

6. dermpathdoc

dermpathdoc DO Path
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We did already email chat a bit but just to let others here know that are DO residents. There is an osteopathic pathway to Dermpath certification. even tho' there are no Osteopathic pathology residencies or Dermpath fellowships( something which looks to change in the near future for DP)....you can get your ACGME program approved by the AOCP and obtain AOBPa certification, since you have the transitional internship.
    The ideal method is to start get your program approved from the date you start...by working with the American Osteopathic College of Pathologists. Penny Evans can guide you to where to obtain all the required paperwok online.
    Just to let you know....the AOBPa has required recertification since 1995, a full 11 years before the ABP did....and The first group of fully recertified Dermatopathologists in the country took thier exams in 2006...and the ABP/ABD has yet to have any of thier certificants in Dermpath do that.

7. Patrick O

Patrick O Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

8. HCE

HCE
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student

9. dermpathdoc

dermpathdoc DO Path
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    DermpathDoc,
    I am a DO path resident.... about to enter my 4 year.... and plan on completing a DP fellowship. I didn't do the rotating internship..... does this mean I can't sit for the AOBP certification exam? Is my only option completing a rotating internship when I'm done with my current training? --- this would be very unlikely for me to do at this point ...[/QUOTE]

Patrick,
    It would be difficult. You might be able to obtain a waiver from the AOA.....but it can be a very convoluted process. Even I as the Chair of the AOBPa have difficulty understanding the rules and regulations and ways in and out of the Waiver process. I would check first with the AOA committtee on Postdoctoral education, to see if they will alllow you to get your pathology program approved...they will work with the College of Osteopathic pathologists...
    I would suggest that your best bet may be to go the ABP route....since you don't have the rotating internship or clinical first year...and if you want to practice in one of the 5 states...go thru thier waiver process....it would most likely be easier.

10. dermpathdoc

dermpathdoc DO Path
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician