do peds programs care about step 2 scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flipflopsnsnow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would it look BAD if i got a 202 on step 1 and took step 2 early and barely passed (like 180s)??
I had wanted to take step 2 early and do well to help my application, but it doesnt look like that will happen. I've heard taking it early and doing well can be good for you, but taking it early and doing poorly or the same can be detrimental for your application. would peds care?
would i be better off just taking it later on?

Members don't see this ad.

flipflopsnsnow said:
would it look BAD if i got a 202 on step 1 and took step 2 early and barely passed (like 180s)??
I had wanted to take step 2 early and do well to help my application, but it doesnt look like that will happen. I've heard taking it early and doing well can be good for you, but taking it early and doing poorly or the same can be detrimental for your application. would peds care?
would i be better off just taking it later on?

it depends where you are wanting to go. if you want to end up at an average program, then you are fine. dont worry about taking it right away. but if you want to go to a top program, you need to take step 2 and do well (like 220 or better). if you take step 2 and barely pass, it will likely not hurt you at most programs, but it will likely eliminate you from getting interviews at the top programs unless you have something else to distinguish you from the other applicants.