DO Personal Statement vs MD Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaribbeanBlue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having issues finding other threads on this.

I am aware from research that the character limit for MD personal statements is 5300 characters and the character limit for DO personal statements is 3000.

The primary question for MD is "Why do you want to be a doctor?" essentially...
Is it the same question for the AACOMAS application??

Did anyone who applied to both MDs and DOs have two entirely different statements or did you just cut the MD one down?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe it's 4500 for DO. I had the same exact personal statement.

Another example of how DO schools are inferior, you don't even have to use as many characters in the personal statement. What a joke..

Members don't see this ad :)
5300 vs 4500. I cut one paragraph out of my MD personal statement. Didn't even use my MD statement

I just edited my PS from AMCAS and used it for AACOMAS. I didn't change much and it was about being a physician in general.

Last edited:
Are the DOs picky about why you want to pursue OSTEOPATHIC medicine being included in your personal statement or just why you want to be a doctor?

Are the DOs picky about why you want to pursue OSTEOPATHIC medicine being included in your personal statement or just why you want to be a doctor?

Not picky enough to warrant the effort necessary to write two PS.

interview will cover "Why DO?" My personal statement was just about becoming a physician in general

Secondaries ask about osteo some times. Leave it for secondaries/interview regardless.

You are not required to outright discuss osteopathic medicine in your AACOMAS personal statement. I chopped my AMCAS personal statement down to meet the character limit for AACOMAS. Save the "Why DO?" response for secondaries and interviews.

interview will cover "Why DO?" My personal statement was just about becoming a physician in general

This.

Although since I only applied DO, I addressed why DO in very brief terms. Don't think that hurt me at all. :D

Pro tip:

Do a search on your document for the word "physician" and "doctor."

Add "osteopathic" before both those words and you're good to go.