Do Pharmacist get vacation time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if Pharmacist ever get vacation time? throughout the year, how does that whole process work?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes...as long as it is not taken around any major holiday especially Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years. Oh ya and spring break.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As always, it depends on the employer. When I worked for an independent, I had to take my vacation, a week at a time. Now that I am with CVS, I get my vacation in hours and I can take it any time I want as long as I give the scheduler enough notice...

its just like everyone else said, it all depends on who your manager is! I'm lucky where I work at...I get 4 weeks off a year to start with!

I accrue my vacation and sick time each pay period....and for us the amount depends on how much time you have with the employer.

So it's not really possible to go on spontaneous family vacations when you're pharmacist?

This sucks. Well, we could just quit and then get another pharmacy job when we come back from vacation.

. . . And then you lose your company benefits and your accured vacation time. :rolleyes:

You go from 3 weeks (or whatever extra vacation hours or priority due to seniority) to 2 weeks.... just for a spontaneous vacation.

So it's not really possible to go on spontaneous family vacations when you're pharmacist?

This sucks. Well, we could just quit and then get another pharmacy job when we come back from vacation.

Exactly...that is not a completely ******ed way to do it at all. :rolleyes:

I work 7 days on, 7 days off. So, I have a vacation every other week. In addition, I also get regular vacation weeks. Last year, we were allowed to cash them in for extra money. I hope we can this year, too.

Also, because I work 6pm until 4am, I'm off during the day during my work week. I can go shopping, lay around the pool, etc. Then I go to work and sit in my big comfy leather chair where I can keep my iPod on or just talk with the other pharmacists on my shift. I have zero stress, so I don't really need extra vacation time.

I work 7 days on, 7 days off. So, I have a vacation every other week. In addition, I also get regular vacation weeks. Last year, we were allowed to cash them in for extra money. I hope we can this year, too.

Also, because I work 6pm until 4am, I'm off during the day during my work week. I can go shopping, lay around the pool, etc. Then I go to work and sit in my big comfy leather chair where I can keep my iPod on or just talk with the other pharmacists on my shift. I have zero stress, so I don't really need extra vacation time.

Sounds like you are enjoying your new job! Congratulations!

This sounds like the job for me :laugh:
Honestly, I think I'd actually enjoy the night shift.

I think I would love this

Yes...as long as it is not taken around any major holiday especially Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years. Oh ya and spring break.

The one good thing about having divorced parents: I got used to celebrating holidays earlier or later than the actual day!

This past year, I visited my mom in January for us to celebrate Christmas. The tickets were about half what they were around Christmas, and not having to deal with the crowds was wonderful.

Different places will have different vacation time handling. In hospital settings, usually, you have something called, "PTO-PAID TIME OFF" and this accumulates base on your 1. Senority and 2. Time. PTO would be including sick days, vacations, etc...pretty much everything. How is PTO accumulated? well, it depends on your senority. Say if you work for the hospital for 1-3 years: Every 80 hours you work, you'll get 8 hours PTO. At the same time, another guy has been working for the hospital for 10 yrs, for every 80 hours he works, he'll earn 12 hours PTO. And it's accumulating until exceeding maximum held PTO allowed (some hospital allows you to have 300 hours PTO, some allows up to 400 hrs,etc...)

So on average, every year, if you work full time for a hospital, you'll earn around 200-300 hours = 25-37 days off and getting paid!!! Yes, that's a lot. I think in retail setting, you also earn by senority.