Do pharmacy schools count W's against you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Domino

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows how pharmacy school look at grades like
- Will they count your number of W's against you? (I have 3)
-And if I made an F in a class but retook it and made an A (will they look at the latest grade or the average of it?)
-And say one of the pre req is 3 hours of social science but I have 6; in which I made a C in psychology and an A in sociology
Will they consider the A or the C?

Thanks for the help!

P.S Planning to apply for Xavier and ULM btw..

Members don't see this ad.

Hey John,

I think it really depends on which school you're applying to. They all have different ways of calculating and looking at a candidate's profile.
I know some schools that take the HIGHEST grade of the two (in your case, the A). Some schools will calculate both into your GPA (So you would receive 3 hours of the F and 3 hours of the A.) In regards to your social science question, I'm not too sure, that would be a question you'd probably have to directly ask the Admissions of your program.

Back to your question about W's...I assume these are "dropped" classes? They're known as Q-drops at my college and we have a maximum of 6 in our total undergraduate career. I currently have used 5/6 of my Q-drops.

Having said that, I've been accepted at University of Houston and University of Illinois Chicago, declined an interview at UC San Diego, and awaiting a decision from University of Texas Austin. I think you'll be fine with your 3 W's based on my own personal experience.

Hey John,

I think it really depends on which school you're applying to. They all have different ways of calculating and looking at a candidate's profile.
I know some schools that take the HIGHEST grade of the two (in your case, the A). Some schools will calculate both into your GPA (So you would receive 3 hours of the F and 3 hours of the A.) In regards to your social science question, I'm not too sure, that would be a question you'd probably have to directly ask the Admissions of your program.

Back to your question about W's...I assume these are "dropped" classes? They're known as Q-drops at my college and we have a maximum of 6 in our total undergraduate career. I currently have used 5/6 of my Q-drops.

Having said that, I've been accepted at University of Houston and University of Illinois Chicago, declined an interview at UC San Diego, and awaiting a decision from University of Texas Austin. I think you'll be fine with your 3 W's based on my own personal experience.
Thanks for the info! May I ask what was your pre req gpa and pcat score?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had two W's and two C's (all in science classes) but I still got into UNC Chapel Hill. So don't worry, you definitely have a chance!

Thanks for the info! May I ask what was your pre req gpa and pcat score?

My pre-requisite GPA when applying was 3.49; Science GPA was around 3.3.
I also received a C in Biology 1, Anatomy, Microbiology, and Physiology. (Didn't study).
PCAT: 92%

Hey John,

Hi, I kinda have the same problem as John but I have alot of W's but I did it for medical reasons (Suffering from bipolar disorder) so if I explain that in my personal statement, do you think the pharmacy schools will understand?

Hi, I kinda have the same problem as John but I have alot of W's but I did it for medical reasons (Suffering from bipolar disorder) so if I explain that in my personal statement, do you think the pharmacy schools will understand?

I'm not sure since I'm sure each school differs...but I did not mention any of my drops in my personal statement and they were all non-academic reasons. I received interview invitations to all my schools except 1.

Since yours are medical reasons, I'm sure it'll look much better than mine. I believe there's a place on PharmCAS to explain any circumstances like that...I'm not too sure if I would include it in your personal statement though since you need as much room as you can on your personal statement to convince them of your journey to realizing why you want to be a pharmacist.