Do Pharmacy Students Need To Do Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Pharmacy Students Need to Do Residencies? I'm thinking about going into Pharmacyschool and would like to know if there is a required Residency after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

Do Pharmacy Students Need to Do Residencies? I'm thinking about going into Pharmacyschool and would like to know if there is a required Residency after graduation?

Nope, you don't have to. Once you pass the NAPLEX and any required state jurisprudence exams, you can start practicing. Residencies are an option if you're interested in specializing.

I was told 1 year residency = 5 years experience. Food for thought:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Residencies are not yet required but maybe in the future. There's no harm in doing one except for the fact that you are losing 1 years worth of pay essentially. Residencies typically pay in the 30,000-38,000/yr range however there maybe some that pay slightly more depending on whether or not it is a speciality residency.

I was told 1 year residency = 5 years experience. Food for thought:rolleyes:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ahem. Sorry.

I don't buy that for a second. A pharmacy residency is essentially an extra year of rotations where you are more liable and have greater responsibility. Oh, and you get paid 1/3 as much as your peers. I personally question the need for them. That's just me though.

So if I do, say, 7 years of residency, can I then retire and draw social security?

Certain hospitals require their pharmacists to do a residency. I know Kaiser only hire pharmacists with a year of residency experience.

I also kind of question the need for the first year residencies, but there are certainly some benefits to the second year ones if you want to work in a specialty area.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ahem. Sorry.

I don't buy that for a second. A pharmacy residency is essentially an extra year of rotations where you are more liable and have greater responsibility. Oh, and you get paid 1/3 as much as your peers. I personally question the need for them. That's just me though.

So if I do, say, 7 years of residency, can I then retire and draw social security?

Sorry I didn't clarify......I meant that 1 year of residency is tantamount to 5 years of experience in terms of compensation and incentives....not actual work or studies. I'm not sure if u get it. In other words, u get paid as somebody who has 5 years experience when you start off, if u do 1 year of residency. I was told this by my former boss who is a pharmacist in michigan. I cannot say if it's a lie becoz she was tellin me this after I told her my good news of gettin into pharmacy school, and she was trying to encourage me to do a residency...

A residency is certainly not required and should not be compared to any level of "experience," which is a relative term, so to speak. However, a residency opens the door to so many more opportunities than the alternative. Think about it, and I have said this before, if you do not do a residency, you are entering the profession with the minimum amount of training. What can you expect from this?

I don't understand the argument about money, as it only takes 6 years to get a professional degree post high school, that is not much.

All the hospitals I was at during rotations will hire pharmacists with at least one year of experience. It can be earned through a residency or even working retail. I was lucky enough to see three pharmaicsts hired at three different hospitals. All of them came from retail. What they mainly look for is someone whose personality meshes with the others working there.

Sorry I didn't clarify......I meant that 1 year of residency is tantamount to 5 years of experience in terms of compensation and incentives....not actual work or studies. I'm not sure if u get it. In other words, u get paid as somebody who has 5 years experience when you start off, if u do 1 year of residency. I was told this by my former boss who is a pharmacist in michigan. I cannot say if it's a lie becoz she was tellin me this after I told her my good news of gettin into pharmacy school, and she was trying to encourage me to do a residency...

..and they still get paid less than those in retail....