DO/PhD at VCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CollegePark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has info on DO/Ph.D. dual degree program at VCOM (with collaboration with Virginia Tech I believe)? Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Even though it's a little odd to reply to my own post... I'll do it anyways now that I got some info about the program :D

[cut and pasted from my other post. sorry for the repeat post]

Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) has a DO/Ph.D. program. This is a fairly new school (graduating its first class in 2007), but the school is in collaboration with Virginia Tech, which is a big state school, so it gets pretty good big-school benefits. So far, my understanding is that you get the DO degree from VCOM and the Ph.D. degree from V Tech, and you start your ph.d. in your junior year after finishing the first two yrs of medical course work. When I contacted the school, I was informed that currently, there are about 18 students getting the dual degree from the school for Ph.D. in public health, but the school says the program will soon expand the possible ph.d. fields to biomedical sciences like immunology, and vet, psychology, etc. The school seems to be big on sports medicine too, so maybe there'll be some cool research for students to get invovled in with the V Tech's Sports Medicine Dept. Oh, and the school also mentioned that there'll be DO/MBA and DO/MS degrees available soon.

The link to the school:
http://www.vcom.vt.edu/
http://www.vcom.vt.edu/admin/research.html

:luck:

The info I got was that the program was in "Health Promotion." I was also told that it involved medical missions rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard the medical mission trips are great. When I asked the school about the DO/Ph.D. program, I was referred to Dr. Misra (whom I think organizes the program with V Tech) and he left me a message with the above information on the dual degree program. The info could change since it's a program that's being developed now, but I think the best way to get to know more about the program is to call the school. Good luck :luck:

I heard the medical mission trips are great. When I asked the school about the DO/Ph.D. program, I was referred to Dr. Misra (whom I think organizes the program with V Tech) and he left me a message with the above information on the dual degree program. The info could change since it's a program that's being developed now, but I think the best way to get to know more about the program is to call the school. Good luck :luck:

I looked at the above information, but I am confused as to what they Ph.D. will be in and what we will be researching? Aslo I heard that the program is 5 years total..can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanx