Do premeds play sports?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

themoonman2

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious if any of my fellow SDN pre-meds participate in sports. Do many of you play pickup games, intramural teams, collegiate NCAA level and beyond- also including individualistic sports such as rock climbing, skiing, skateboarding, running, etc? If so, how often?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Played @ a national/world level for one sport and intercollegiate for another due to it not being NCAA sanctioned.
I still train 3-5 days a week for the first sport and compete regularly.
 
Yes. I was a two sport DI, competed w/ national team for one. Practice for 6 days a week, 2 sports seasons, and gym/track sessions on my own time too.
 
Absolutely. Intramural flag football was great. Did intramural soccer and volleyball for a bit too. Been playing adult league roller hockey since my last two semesters of college.
 
Tennis! I play a lot. Sometimes I will wake up at 5:30, go hit on the wall and practice serves from 6-7, go to class and work, and play a few hours in the late evening. I probably play for 15 hours a week on top of class, hw, and working 25 hours a week.
 
Tennis! I play a lot. Sometimes I will wake up at 5, go hit on the wall and practice serves from 6-7, go to class and work, and play a few hours in the late evening. I probably play for 15 hours a week on top of class, hw, and working 25 hours a week.
That is awesome. I love to play but I am not exactly a pro and I hate bringing skilled players to a game of run after the ball.
 
That is awesome. I love to play but I am not exactly a pro and I hate bringing skilled players to a game of run after the ball.

I am not the most skilled but definitely improving! It takes a lot of time to improve in tennis but I love feeling the improvement when you put in the work. Besides, if I don't serve for a few weeks I lose my serve gainz! So it is motivation to keep practicing.
 
Yup! It's a great way to relieve some stress and keep healthy too. I played NCAA D3, intramural soccer and basketball during the offseason, and was involved in the outdoor club so some hiking, caving, and climbing. Definitely was a big part of my college experience 🙂
 
10+ years participating in an individual sport, with a 3-year break from competing included. Ramping up to start competing again. A version of this sport is NCAA sanctioned, however I choose not to compete in the NCAA and instead participate in a different version on my own. I train 5 days a week and have chosen to work 20+ hours a week so that I can afford to continue participating in this sport. I received 4 top-10 placings at a World level in the Youth division.

The time commitment is currently keeping me from pursuing any research, but I'd rather spend my time on this sport than in a research lab, since there is absolutely no way I'll be able to continue it in med school and throughout residency.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DI scholarship athlete all four years! It's definitely a big commitment, and you quickly learn that a full night's sleep is an unnecessary luxury, but at the end of the day it is 100% worth it.
 
Just curious if any of my fellow SDN pre-meds participate in sports. Do many of you play pickup games, intramural teams, collegiate NCAA level and beyond- also including individualistic sports such as rock climbing, skiing, skateboarding, running, etc? If so, how often?
I train MMA and crossfit six days a week, but I also skateboard and climb occasionally.
 
Basketball, football, weight-lifting, snowboard, wakeboard, hiking, running... most of these I have done for about 15 years now
 
Yessir weight train couple days a week, boulder when I can and play on a soccer team once a week if work permits.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad