DO Prereq Grades: C- in Gen Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HuskyFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would appreciated some input from people who have been in a similar situation. I received a c- in one quarter of gen chem many years ago. I called a couple DO schools (western and PCOM), and they said they will still review my file and don't require a retake.

Has anyone else had recent success at schools with a c- in one of the pre-reqs? I have done well in all other pre-reqs, and have performed very well in biochem and other upper division science courses. I'm finishing taking some post-bacc classes, and I'll be applying with a 3.47cGPA/3.45 sGPA and 36 mcat. I'm all geared up to apply this cycle, and not sure when I'd be able to one gen chem quarter.

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I would appreciated some input from people who have been in a similar situation. I received a c- in one quarter of gen chem many years ago. I called a couple DO schools (western and PCOM), and they said they will still review my file and don't require a retake.

Has anyone else had recent success at schools with a c- in one of the pre-reqs? I have done well in all other pre-reqs, and have performed very well in biochem and other upper division science courses. I'm finishing taking some post-bacc classes, and I'll be applying with a 3.47cGPA/3.45 sGPA and 36 mcat. I'm all geared up to apply this cycle, and not sure when I'd be able to one gen chem quarter.

Thanks for the input!
First, I'd recommend going with what Western and PCOM is telling you, not what anyone here is going to say for the most part. That being said, I think it's totally going to depend on the program as some programs will not recognize anything below a C. However, you have a full semester in most cases if you find out that you need to repeat this, especially if you get your app in early this cycle. Good luck.

I doubt one class with make or break your application. Of course we all can speculate as much as we want. You will not get your answer until you apply and either get accepted or waitlisted or rejected. Can't win the game if you don't put your chips in the pot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. When I called, both schools said that it would be fine to apply with the c-, and that they do not require students to retake.

On the aacomas it says that c- grades for prerequisites will not be verified. Any idea how this shows up on the application once its submitted?

I will leave you with a quote that my favorite professor once said (imagine this in german accent)...."If zu do not know how to calculate zee mol, zhen you should just drop zis class and change to biology."

Prove this man wrong.

but in all seriousness how did you managed a C- in Gen chem? I could see orgo 2...I wouldn't worry about it tho just apply as early as possible...many of us got in with sub 25 MCAT and 3.4 GPA. In fact the quarter before I applied I got a C+ and a C.

Thanks for the input. When I called, both schools said that it would be fine to apply with the c-, and that they do not require students to retake.

On the aacomas it says that c- grades for prerequisites will not be verified. Any idea how this shows up on the application once its submitted?

that is going to be a problem however.

My 2011 AACOMAS verified with a handful of C-. Unless it changed, I wouldn't worry about that part.

I will leave you with a quote that my favorite professor once said (imagine this in german accent)...."If zu do not know how to calculate zee mol, zhen you should just drop zis class and change to biology."

Prove this man wrong.

but in all seriousness how did you managed a C- in Gen chem? I could see orgo 2...I wouldn't worry about it tho just apply as early as possible...many of us got in with sub 25 MCAT and 3.4 GPA. In fact the quarter before I applied I got a C+ and a C.

Lol, really? There's a million reasons why someone could get a C- in a class you think is too easy to get a C- in. I got an A in orgo 2 without opening my book (this is after I got a C in orgo 1), but I got a C- in gen chem 2 because I didn't study. There's no reason to call people out for a bad grade.