Do Prerequisites Expire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NH12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took most of prereqs between 2002-2004, when will they expire or have they already expired?

What has been your experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think your grades expire, it's been about 10 years since I took gen chem but I'm off to med school in August.

I think the issues is: can med schools be confident that your knowledge of the sciences is sufficient for their demanding classes?

Your MCAT does expire, and it is supposed to be an assement of your skills in the sciences. So, I think if you did do well in your prereqs years and, and if you do really well on the MCAT recently, then I think you're good to go. If you do poorly on the MCAT or have a low GPA from years ago, well, then you might have to take more science classes. I would never retake the prereqs unless you really felt rusty

Good luck!

You also have to check with the school you're interested in. I've heard of a few that say they had to have some prereqs within the last 6 to 8 years. Basically, it's in your best interest to contact the admissions department. You don't want to find out after you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took most of prereqs between 2002-2004, when will they expire or have they already expired?

What has been your experience?

Different med schools have different requirements. All of the programs I plan on applying to want the prereqs within 5-7 yrs. This being said, I have no clue about the DO community.

I got my bachelor's in 1984, did physics and biochem in 2003-2005, took MCAT scored 10 v/ 9 physical science/ 8 bio and am in class 2010 DO school and in top 10% of class