Do programs send "thank you" e-mails to everyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyresident

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi:

for those that have been through the match before--

are programs selective about whom they send "thank you" letters after interviews to? (have received two thank you e-mails from my #5 and #6 tentatively ranked programs... haven't interviewed at 1-2-3 yet).

also: is it bad to express an interest in signing out of the match (for osteopathic or FMG grads) during the interview at your #1 program?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am totally confused about thank you notes. The programs that I am virtually garaunteed a spot, I did not receive a thank you note. Despite writing thank you notes to them. In the more competative programs, where I did receive a thank you note it was along the lines, "thanks for coming...we have a great program...good luck with the rest of your interviews". "GOOD LUCK WITH THE REST OF YOUR INTERVIEWS"? Does that mean, you suck, we don't want you, hope you get a spot somewhere else, or does it mean nothing. I don't know.

PCN

nyresident said:
hi:

for those that have been through the match before--

are programs selective about whom they send "thank you" letters after interviews to? (have received two thank you e-mails from my #5 and #6 tentatively ranked programs... haven't interviewed at 1-2-3 yet).

also: is it bad to express an interest in signing out of the match (for osteopathic or FMG grads) during the interview at your #1 program?

thanks.

PCN said:
I am totally confused about thank you notes. The programs that I am virtually garaunteed a spot, I did not receive a thank you note. Despite writing thank you notes to them. In the more competative programs, where I did receive a thank you note it was along the lines, "thanks for coming...we have a great program...good luck with the rest of your interviews". "GOOD LUCK WITH THE REST OF YOUR INTERVIEWS"? Does that mean, you suck, we don't want you, hope you get a spot somewhere else, or does it mean nothing. I don't know.

PCN
I think that, in the subliminal language of the match, things work like this:
1) If you receive a note such as you mention, it means that you WILL be ranked, order to be determined after interview season is complete. The note means: rank us, we will rank you.
2) If you receive a good personalized note/call from the PD, it means that you will be ranked to match. It means that you are the right candidate in terms of competitiveness. This is especially true in "good fits", such as AOA from Harvard after interviewing at Hopkins getting letter from Hopkins.
3) If you don't receive a note, it might mean three things. 1, the program does not send such notes. 2, you are too competitive for the program and they figure if you want them you will let them know in no uncertain terms, in which case they will rank you to match. 3, you are not competitive enough and they will not rank you.
Hope that helps :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Great advice, thanks.

Quick question. What is a "good personalized note." I got an email from PD that basically said (in generic terms): hope you liked our program, hope you had a safe trip home, contact me anytime, hope to see you here next year. Would you say this is a good personalized note, b/c I initially thought this was a standard reply to all the interviewees.

Pili said:
I think that, in the subliminal language of the match, things work like this:
1) If you receive a note such as you mention, it means that you WILL be ranked, order to be determined after interview season is complete. The note means: rank us, we will rank you.
2) If you receive a good personalized note/call from the PD, it means that you will be ranked to match. It means that you are the right candidate in terms of competitiveness. This is especially true in "good fits", such as AOA from Harvard after interviewing at Hopkins getting letter from Hopkins.
3) If you don't receive a note, it might mean three things. 1, the program does not send such notes. 2, you are too competitive for the program and they figure if you want them you will let them know in no uncertain terms, in which case they will rank you to match. 3, you are not competitive enough and they will not rank you.
Hope that helps :rolleyes:

PCN said:
Great advice, thanks.

Quick question. What is a "good personalized note." I got an email from PD that basically said (in generic terms): hope you liked our program, hope you had a safe trip home, contact me anytime, hope to see you here next year. Would you say this is a good personalized note, b/c I initially thought this was a standard reply to all the interviewees.
I think your note means that you will be ranked highly. That note can further be improved if the PD personalized the note by making reference to specifics about you and hinted at a strong interest. Then it would mean that the program wants you bad. :)