Do PT schools take into account where you got your undergrad degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tgtubbs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just found this forum today looking for this question to be answered... and obviously didn't find it anywhere. So, I was wondering whether or not PT schools look at where you got your degree from when considering you for admission. I just wonder because I go to a top 25 university. It is known for being extremely difficult and it is very hard to maintain a great GPA, especially as a science major (sigh). I mean, I anticipate maintaining a 3.0 to 3.2 overall, but that's just the minimum that most schools require.

Thanks for any help guys

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure the difficulty of your undergraduate program is taken into account at most schools. I was told over and over again that it didn't matter, but I attend an Ivy and most of the schools I applied to called me for the first round of interviews. My GPA isn't outstanding either...

Though I advise you not to bank on your school's prestige, don't let a 3.2 stress you out. Many schools will appreciate that you are able to 1. handle a large workload, and 2. keep up with competitive classmates. Make sure you rock the GRE. A good (I mean very good) score is a great way to balance out a low-ish GPA from a school that is considered more difficult.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat and attend a school known for engineering and pharmacy. Most of the schools I looked into stated that they look at the competitiveness of the school you attend. Just make sure the rest of your application is just as competitive, and I wouldnt worry about it! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most programs will look at the big picture, so don't worry about the GPA as long as you are over the 3.0. Just make sure you have great LORs & essays and a solid GRE to balance it all out. If your GPA shows an upward trajectory, even better! If it doesn't because you had to work FT your last year, make sure you include an additional comment/essay in your PTCAS application explaining your situation. If your university is known to have hard science classes, it will be taken into consideration. And don't let your GPA from keep you from applying to top ranked programs! :luck:

They'll care about your GPA and how well you can prove yourself in those pre-req classes. A good name will help marginally, but don't sweat it.

Hey, I just found this forum today looking for this question to be answered... and obviously didn't find it anywhere. So, I was wondering whether or not PT schools look at where you got your degree from when considering you for admission. I just wonder because I go to a top 25 university. It is known for being extremely difficult and it is very hard to maintain a great GPA, especially as a science major (sigh). I mean, I anticipate maintaining a 3.0 to 3.2 overall, but that's just the minimum that most schools require.

Thanks for any help guys

A few years later and I am running into a similar situation as you had. Just wondering if you had any luck with PT school the first round? What were your acceptances and rejections? Thanks!

A few years later and I am running into a similar situation as you had. Just wondering if you had any luck with PT school the first round? What were your acceptances and rejections? Thanks!

Don't get your hopes up for a response...people who posted once 3 years ago don't tend to just pop back up....

But there was a pretty long discussion of this recently in one of the PT forums...I don't remember what the thread was called but you might be able to find it.

Reactions: 1 user