DO rads residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hcrunner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, Just wondering if any DO's out there could give a little information on the DO rads programs that are out there? Are you better off applying for the allopathic rads residency or is the DO one a viable option? Are they just as difficult to get into? Any other info would be great, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

They CAN be difficult because there are so few spots available. Unfortunately, most are in the midwest (Michigan and Ohio) and it of course helps to have ties to the area. I interviewed at four, but decided to go through ERAS so I withdrew from the DO match. I learned one thing while I was interviewing....if you didn't actual do a rotation with them, they won't be very interested at all.

All the programs are basically "community programs" where most teaching and conferences are resident run. So if you want a really academic environment, you likely won't find what you are looking for at a DO program. The closest to academic programs are going to be in Michigan because all the residents from all the programs go to MSU in Lansing, MI for an all-day conference. Because its such a large audience, with DO residents and MD ones too, they get pretty good guest lecturers. The drive just might wear you down after doing it every Tuesday for four years.

I interviewed at Pontiac and at Henry Ford Bi-County/Wyandotte and was fairly impressed. I would recommend you check them out, and of course rotate through there if you can.

From what I understand, DO's will be applying for DO residencies through ERAS starting next year, so although your applications will be easier to send out, the DO match will still come early, and I guess you can withdraw from the DO match if think you have pretty good chances in the allopathic match. And on the flip-side, if you aren't getting many MD interviews, it might be a good idea to go ahead and rank DO programs...that way you'll at least be a radiologist. It can be quite a gamble.....good luck.

Oops....forgot to mention one more thing.

If you are positive you want to just be a private practice radiologist, then there's really nothing wrong with the DO programs from what I saw interviewing. If you think you want to do a fellowship, you SHOULDN'T have too much difficulty getting one, but it might not be in the area you want. And this all depends on what type of fellowship....for example, since there are so many IR fellowships open right now, DO Rads Residency grads don't have too much trouble getting in.....MSK fellowships are probably much harder to come by.

If you want to go into academic radiology, or plan to at least, then you should know that its more difficult to go from community-residency training to becoming an attending at a university/academic setting. It's not impossible, but its more difficult...and I've been told this by well-known academic radiologists.

Yep, it's alot to think about...

P.S. Try to shoot for 600+ on COMLEX Level 1 to help your app. with DO programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vince,

You posted some wrong information. Next year the DO match will remain separate from the NRMP match. However, DO's this year will be able to use the wonderful ERAS program for applying to DO and MD residencies.

Just thought I would correct you....as always... :laugh:

Tu es muy loco! :smuggrin:

What a Smart A$$ Doc Martin is....Brian is too I guess so that works.

Yes, I accidentally put "NRMP" in the last paragraph and meant to put "ERAS".....got them mixed up in my hectic typing. I'm only human!!!!

IT HAS BEEN CORRECTED.