DO rec letter after submitting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cloud 9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is okay I'm sure but is it okay 2 months after submitting? Say I submit mid July and didn't get a letter until late August, will schools like VCOM not look at me until the letter comes in?

Members don't see this ad.

This is okay I'm sure but is it okay 2 months after submitting? Say I submit mid July and didn't get a letter until late August, will schools like VCOM not look at me until the letter comes in?

You submit LORs with your secondaries, not the primary. So if you submit in July, you likely won't get verified until August, and submit your secondary in September. You have till then to get your DO LOR.

You submit LORs with your secondaries, not the primary. So if you submit in July, you likely won't get verified until August, and submit your secondary in September. You have till then to get your DO LOR.

Not to threadjack, but if I started shadowing a DO after I submit on June 1 I could have that DO submit an LOR before I get verified and it would work out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to threadjack, but if I started shadowing a DO after I submit on June 1 I could have that DO submit an LOR before I get verified and it would work out?

Huh?

Again, you submit LORs with your secondaries. So if you submit June 1st and shadow a DO afterwards.... your primary will still get verified and sent to schools. Then the schools will still send you secondaries. You send your LOR when you submit your secondary.

So timewise... submit in June, get secondaries around July/August. So you have until then to get your DO LOR. If you get one before July/August, that's fine... Interfolio will store it for you (assuming you're using Interfolio).

Huh?

Again, you submit LORs with your secondaries. So if you submit June 1st and shadow a DO afterwards.... your primary will still get verified and sent to schools. Then the schools will still send you secondaries. You send your LOR when you submit your secondary.

So timewise... submit in June, get secondaries around July/August. So you have until then to get your DO LOR. If you get one before July/August, that's fine... Interfolio will store it for you (assuming you're using Interfolio).

Thanks for the quick reply! That's interesting, so we have to tell Interfolio to send LORs to every school we get a secondary from? Costly, but good news for me

Thanks for the quick reply! That's interesting, so we have to tell Interfolio to send LORs to every school we get a secondary from? Costly, but good news for me

interfolio is costly but it is so easy it is worth it. And yes. it doesn't matter when you get your LOR as i won't do anything to verification, however you can't become complete at most schools without it.

interfolio is costly but it is so easy it is worth it. And yes. it doesn't matter when you get your LOR as i won't do anything to verification, however you can't become complete at most schools without it.

Thank you :) :)

Huh?

Right, thank you for explaining that!

only downside to what you are doing is that you won't be able to list that you shadowed the DO in your primary application. but since it's probably not that many hours accumulated anyways and you only need the letter, it should be ok (i hope you have another physician that you shadowed listed in your primary application)

You may want to check with your pre-med department. Mine created my interfolio account at no cost to me and made sure to have all of my letters sent to the schools that I applied to for free. It was a big help to get that awesome service for free.