DO requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joolie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :oops:

If anyone could answer this question it'd be much appreciated...

I was wondering if there is a book that i can purchase or find that lists all the DO schools in the US and their requirements (much like the MSAR) ... for ex.. GPA, MCAT score requirements, which letter of recs.. etc..
Is there such a book?.. or where might I be able to find that kind of information?..

One more thing.. is it a requirement for DO schools that you must have a rec from a DO or MD?

Members don't see this ad.

You can goto www.aacom.org. They have list of medical schools and thier requirements. They used to have publications you can get for free, but that book doesn't seem to be updated for this year. It is basically the same information you get from the web site.

Some schools absolutely require letters from DOs. If they don't they will require letter from DO, they will want one from MD. They really focus on clinical experiences when applying.

dr.z said:
You can goto www.aacom.org. They have list of medical schools and thier requirements. They used to have publications you can get for free, but that book doesn't seem to be updated for this year. It is basically the same information you get from the web site.

Some schools absolutely require letters from DOs. If they don't they will require letter from DO, they will want one from MD. They really focus on clinical experiences when applying.

thanks dr. z :) that helped a lot.

One more thing.. i'm planning on applying this year hoping to enter in 06.. I' know you mentioned how they focus on clinical experience.. I'm currently involved in some internship program where i gain a lot of clinical experience.. however, i have not gotten the opportunity to shadow a DO or MD.. do you suggest I go ahead and try to see if i can do that come this fall?.. and w. that said.. IF i do, do I just ask them for a recommendation right after shadowing them? (bc usually [or from what i know] shadowing can last at most up to a month? ) ...

sorry if this was confusing..