Do residencies require 'secondary applications' before giving interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bo Hurley

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides everything you submit on ERAS, do residencies require a "secondary application" of any sort before they grant interviews? You know like the secondary applications we filled out to get into med school that made you write essays, ask more about your background, etc? Or is it just the information you provide on ERAS that is used to grant interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Bo Hurley said:
Besides everything you submit on ERAS, do residencies require a "secondary application" of any sort before they grant interviews? You know like the secondary applications we filled out to get into med school that made you write essays, ask more about your background, etc? Or is it just the information you provide on ERAS that is used to grant interviews?

No secondary, just ERAS.

Bo Hurley said:

For the most part, the answer is no. That being said, one program I applied to sent me a secondary app to fill out and return. It basically wanted more background info and did involve some straight-up info and short essay responses...more annoying than time-consuming. I don't know of any other classmates who had to do the same...there are always a few sporadic programs that do things a little differently than the norm.

i applied for gen surg this year..had to fill out one secondary application (UVa, it was easy without essays)...UPenn makes you write some stupid essay before granting you an interview date....the other 13 programs i got interviews at did not require anything else besides my ERAS application.

Bo Hurley said:

As a Program Coordinator, whenever I need further clarification or additional information from an applicant, I just send an e-mail and request that information. Usually the ERAS application is sufficient.

My ortho friends had secondaries to do.