DO Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1010363

Hi All,

I am actually a premed student but I am curious about DO residencies.

Does a DO have to match with an internship first and then match to a residency after completing the internship? Or is the internship built in to the residency that you match with?

I am asking this question because I'm at a point in my education to where I am not completely informed on how DO residencies work. I know that they have to do at least 1 year internship before residency. Another reason that prompted me to ask this question is because when I was on the AOA website, I noticed that, if you search for opportunities, there is an option to either only search for an internship or only a residency. I also saw a fellowship search as well but for the purpose of this thread, I am omitting that for now. The website that I am referring to is: Opportunities - AOA-Approved Internships and Residencies

Thanks in Advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I am actually a premed student but I am curious about DO residencies.

Does a DO have to match with an internship first and then match to a residency after completing the internship? Or is the internship built in to the residency that you match with?

I am asking this question because I'm at a point in my education to where I am not completely informed on how DO residencies work. I know that they have to do at least 1 year internship before residency. Another reason that prompted me to ask this question is because when I was on the AOA website, I noticed that, if you search for opportunities, there is an option to either only search for an internship or only a residency. I also saw a fellowship search as well but for the purpose of this thread, I am omitting that for now. The website that I am referring to is: Opportunities - AOA-Approved Internships and Residencies

Thanks in Advance.
It doesn’t matter anymore. Everything is acgme now

Internship or being an intern is the first year of residency. You can do a stand alone internship and get a license in some states but you’re severely handicapped in what you can do and good luck getting credentialed at any hospital that isn’t downright horrendous

Fellowship is after residency. It’s extra training a doctor who has completed X residency under goes

Hope this helped

Reactions: 1 users
It doesn’t matter anymore. Everything is acgme now

Internship or being an intern is the first year of residency. You can do a stand alone internship and get a license in some states but you’re severely handicapped in what you can do and good luck getting credentialed at any hospital that isn’t downright horrendous

Fellowship is after residency. It’s extra training a doctor who has completed X residency under goes

Hope this helped
Thanks for the information! It definitely cleared up some questions I had.