SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Do Rotations Pay?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by davyjone96431, Mar 26, 2007.

1. davyjone96431

davyjone96431 2+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Hi, I was planning my expenses for pharmacy school and I was thinking about getting a job to help pay for it. However, my friend said that in pharm school, when you go on rotations to work at the hospital pharmacy, community pharmacy, etc, you get paid. Is that true? In particular, does anyone know if UCSD or UCSF works that way?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. VeraShield

VeraShield 7+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Not sure if it different in other areas, but all the pharmacy students I know did not get paid on rotations (and also still continued paying the same rate of tuition).

4. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I definitely know that a rotation taken for course credit at UCSF does not pay you.

I don't have any experience being a UCSD preceptor, but since its in the same system, I'm assuming it too will not allow a course taken for credit to be paid.

The residents, however, are paid a stipend.

5. DrZion

DrZion 5+ Year Member

Nov 10, 2006
    I asked a question like that at an interview i had and i was told that you can not get paid. It's supposedly a very strict rule(think she said the school can get in trouble for that).

6. lvp0021

lvp0021 2+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2006
    You have to complete a predetermined number of unpaid rotation in order to sit for the NAPLEX. Pretty much from what I understand, all the rotation courses in pharm school are designed to help you fulfill this requirement and thus they have to be unpaid. However, you will get your intern license in order to do rotation and this allows you to work parttime to get $.