DO-run transitional years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applepie71

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a MD student and have a question about applying to TYs (I'm going into one of the specialties that requires prelim/TY) - I noticed that some are DO-run TYs. I was wondering if I am eligible for them, and if going to one of them is less desirable. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are "Traditional Rotating Internships" and they will be listed as "Not participating in NRMP Match" (because they are in the AOA match).

For all I know (which is not much), they may not even be visible to MD students.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I'm a MD student and have a question about applying to TYs (I'm going into one of the specialties that requires prelim/TY) - I noticed that some are DO-run TYs. I was wondering if I am eligible for them, and if going to one of them is less desirable. Thanks for your help!

Are you talking about an osteopathic Traditional Rotating Internship (TRI)? If that's the case, you're not eligible to apply to them.

Are you talking about a former TRI program that has now become ACGME accredited and is "DO-run"? If that's the case, you're eligible to apply.

Are you talking about a TY ACGME residency that is run by a program director with a DO degree? If that's the case, you're eligible to apply (and that's kind of a silly question).

Are you talking about an osteopathic Traditional Rotating Internship (TRI)? If that's the case, you're not eligible to apply to them.

Are you talking about a former TRI program that has now become ACGME accredited and is "DO-run"? If that's the case, you're eligible to apply.

Are you talking about a TY ACGME residency that is run by a program director with a DO degree? If that's the case, you're eligible to apply (and that's kind of a silly question).

I was referring to the second scenario. Thank you for clarifying!

I was referring to the second scenario. Thank you for clarifying!

No problem.

By the way, if you're applying to a TY program that was previously an AOA TRI, check to see if they have osteopathic recognition. If they do, you might be required to have a certain level of competency in OPP (osteopathic principles and practice) prior to starting the program. Each program decides what this entails for their MD residents.

(osteopathic recognition is optional, some AOA programs choose to become ACGME-accredited and obtain "osteopathic recognition", some don't).