DO school and the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tndoc12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright here is my dilemma. I bought all of the BR books to prepare for my June 17th MCAT. I quickly found out that I simply didnt have the time to devote so much time to working through them! Basically I've been guaranteed a spot at a DO school with a 19 or higher on the MCAT. Feasibly, would it be alright for me to work through the EK books instead? They seem to be much more downsized and to the point.

Members don't see this ad.

I prepared with the large Kaplan book. However, that's not the point of this post. Having someone tell you a 19 will suffice for admissions would leave me very, very skeptical. Even if the directior of admissions, president of the school, and dean of students said such a thing, I would find it hard to believe them. Get it in writing if that's what you were told because its too good to be true otherwise.

I prepared with the large Kaplan book. However, that's not the point of this post. Having someone tell you a 19 will suffice for admissions would leave me very, very skeptical. Even if the directior of admissions, president of the school, and dean of students said such a thing, I would find it hard to believe them. Get it in writing if that's what you were told because its too good to be true otherwise.

I am rather skeptical. I'm shooting for a 30 but will be happy with a 24 and up. I already have all of the EK books. Should i just use them and take a lot of practice exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do elaborate on this "guarantee." It sounds interesting.

I used the EK books for preparation, and though they're much shorter than other companies' books, they're also awfully dense. There's a lot of information packed into those short chapters. I had to read them at least twice and supplement my reading with the Audio Osmosis lectures. I scored a 10 in physical and an 11 in biology.

Do elaborate on this "guarantee." It sounds interesting.

I used the EK books for preparation, and though they're much shorter than other companies' books, they're also awfully dense. There's a lot of information packed into those short chapters. I had to read them at least twice and supplement my reading with the Audio Osmosis lectures. I scored a 10 in physical and an 11 in biology.

I've done research with the Director of Admissions and numerous other faculty members.

what school? University of Fogetaboutit College of Osteopathic Medicine? UFCOM? When is thier first class? Ill have to apply this may....

what school? University of Fogetaboutit College of Osteopathic Medicine? UFCOM? When is thier first class? Ill have to apply this may....

HAHA. No, they told me they'd let me in with a 15... :)

....... really? No school wants their average stats trashed.

You could probably take it by clicking random bubbles and get at least a 15.

A few things ...

1. Unless you had something, literally in writing ... I wouldn't trust that 19 guarantee. It's seriously too low, and I'm not sure if ANYONE could even guarantee that. Even if it was the director of admissions ... he'd probably at least have to explain himself and unless you guys have the same last name, it could get weird.

2. BR is seriously legit. It helped me far more than anything else, especially physical science. I took the MCAT twice - once with a big Kaplan course which really didn't fit my learning style; did ehh, alright. Once with much, MUCH less study time (less than you're using now) and BR for PS + Kaplan/EK for Bio + a tiny bit of EK for verbal ... did quite well. Biggest jump was in my PS.

3. There's really no reason to get that low. What if you don't end up going to that school??? Now you're stuck with a bad MCAT score and limited options.

My advice ... if you have the time right now - study hard until June, and take it. If you don't have the time ... make the time.

A few things ...

1. Unless you had something, literally in writing ... I wouldn't trust that 19 guarantee. It's seriously too low, and I'm not sure if ANYONE could even guarantee that. Even if it was the director of admissions ... he'd probably at least have to explain himself and unless you guys have the same last name, it could get weird.

2. BR is seriously legit. It helped me far more than anything else, especially physical science. I took the MCAT twice - once with a big Kaplan course which really didn't fit my learning style; did ehh, alright. Once with much, MUCH less study time (less than you're using now) and BR for PS + Kaplan/EK for Bio + a tiny bit of EK for verbal ... did quite well. Biggest jump was in my PS.

3. There's really no reason to get that low. What if you don't end up going to that school??? Now you're stuck with a bad MCAT score and limited options.

My advice ... if you have the time right now - study hard until June, and take it. If you don't have the time ... make the time.

Thanks for the advice!

A few things ...

If i may ask...what is BR?