DO school application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealingGrace

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI all, I applied to MD and DO programs. I got a response from every MD program (confirmation email that it was received) and secondaries soon after. Havent heart anything from any of the DO programs so I am curious if this is correct? I am making sure as for ACOMAS website shows everything is filled out and complete and that they were sent to the DO programs, but because there has been no confirmation from each school I wonder if this is normal and distinct from MD schools? I finished my app early September.

Thank you for your help out there!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if this is helpful, but make sure you actually submitted your MCAT score to AACOMAS!
It doesn't show up automatically like it does on AMCAS.

Not sure if this is helpful, but make sure you actually submitted your MCAT score to AACOMAS!
It doesn't show up automatically like it does on AMCAS.
Thank you! Yes I took it last year so I entered the AAMC info for it into the AACOMAS system. Regardless, is the DO system similar in that once we turn it in, even if they are waiting on LORs or transcripts, they start looking at the application in the way MD programs do? Thank you for the additional info! I find it harder to find info on DO programs than MDs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I see your potential mistake. If you go to the AAMC website where you can check your score, you need to allow AAMC to send your score to a non MD institution. All you did from the AACOMAS application was just type your score in which means it was not verified by the AAMC. You need to do a "Score Report" and have it sent to AACOMAS. I had a similar issue as well. Hmu if you have any other questions.

This thread caught my attention because I applied to a few MD and a few DO (earlier app submit than MD) and have only heard back from MDs since secondaries, which is super weird to me. I assumed I was much more competitive for DO . . .

Without knowing your stats it is possible they are quite high and some DO schools will look at this and assume you will apply MD and would matriculate there if accepted. I have seen that happen where stats are particularly high and apps don't necessarily have a lean toward DO (no LOR from DO, alumnae letter or state school). There are thousands of apps, a finite number of interviews and the committee will interview those that they assume/hope will matriculate.