DO school chances/reccomendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedhusky18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me decide which DO schools to apply to? Here are my credentials
-750+ hours shadowing doctors over the past two years.
-I have scrubbed in to view various surgeries and procedures.
-Held a summer internship at a NYC surgical clinic
-volunteered in a medical office for 2 years
-High school hospital volunteer
-Science GPA ~ 2.8 cGPA! 2.9 from a difficult undergrad university
-500 MCAT (I plan on taking it again)

I am currently doing volunteer cardiac research during my gap year and have submitted a research abstract for publication. I have great letters of recommendation and come from a family of doctors if that helps. I know the GPA and MCAT are low but are there any DO schools anyone would recommend applying to. Thanks for all responses

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
-Science GPA ~ 2.8 from a difficult undergrad university

I am currently doing volunteer cardiac research during my gap year and have submitted a research abstract for publication. I have great letters of recommendation and come from a family of doctors if that helps. I know the GPA and MCAT are low but are there any DO schools anyone would recommend applying to. Thanks for all responses

You could maybe be competitive at some of the newer schools but frankly OP your chances of an acceptance With your mcat and gpa as low as they are are pretty bad. I would advise a post bacc and/or MCAT retake.

Can't recommend applying anywhere with your current GPA and MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
-Science GPA ~ 2.8 from a difficult undergrad university

what is your cGPA?

A majority of DO schools pre-screen applications at 3.0 and MCAT at 500. You'll have to do your own research to figure out which schools don't have this kind of cutoff, but my personal advice would be to defer applying for 1-2 cycles, work on that GPA and then retake the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Science GPA ~ 2.8 from a difficult undergrad university

Until this gets a lot higher then none. You are not competitive for medical schools at this point and need to do some academic remediation before you can consider applying. Consider a DIY post bac.

Also, you will not get bonus points because you went to a "hard" university. It's impressive if you do well, but you don't get bonus points if you don't.

Reactions: 3 users