DO School list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student270

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am applying for the AACOMAS 2018-2019 cycle and would appreciate help for building my school list.

cGPA: 3.26/postbacc GPA: 3.56
MCAT: 491 -> 498 -> 506 (126/124/128/128)
First generation college student

State of Residence: MD
Ethnicity: White/Asian
Undergrad Institution: Univ of TN
Postbacc Institution: Cornell Univ

Clinical:
Direct patient care experience as a surgical assistant for a skin cancer surgeon over the last 3 years

Clinical volunteering:
ER Volunteer (150 hours)

Research Experience:
Primary author of a study that has been submitted for publication in the Journal of American Dermatology

Research assistant developing molecular modeling for various proteins. Primary author on transcript but never got submitted for publication.

Shadowing Experience:
Shadowed two orthopedic surgeons (50 hours)

Non-clinical Volunteering:
Helped organize two 5k races for the Melanoma Research foundation

Youth counselor for my local church where I coordinated visits to nursing facilities, soup kitchen events and leadership summits for the children at the church

Other:
Worked at front desk for YMCA (2 years in undergrad)
Worked in a food research lab for 2 summers as a lab assistant

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Things I would do

Make sure you get a DO letter if you already don't have one.

Shadow some sort of primary care specialty

Apply very broadly.

If you your only MCAT was your latest one you would have your pick of DO schools. But I think it is important to play it safe because IDK how schools will take your old MCATs. I would apply to 20-30+ DO schools and see who bites.

Thank you for the reply. I was also afraid of my chances due to my multiple retakes but am hoping that the schools will put most of the emphasis on my most recent one.

@Goro How would most DO schools view my retakes?

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school we would average your retake scores
Is that how it is at most DO schools? I really don’t like my chances if that’s the case.m

Also, what do you think my chances are of getting into a DO school after looking at my profile?

Last edited:
Is that how it is at most DO schools? I really don’t like my chances if that’s the case.m

Also, what do you think my chances are of getting into a DO school after looking at my profile?
Chances decent with a broad application, especially targeting the newest schools. Shadow a DO and get a DO LOR. Also try U MD.