Quantcast

DO school or Reapply MD

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbastor

Reaction score
I was in the middle of completing my amcas for this next cycle, and was accepted off the waitlist to NYITCOM. Now I'm unsure if I should continue reapplying or just go to NYIT.

I don't want to settle for DO, but I also don't want to ruin my chances of going to medical school.

I had 2 MD interviews. I think applying late (October), and not having a job at the time really hurt my chances of getting in.

My stats are:
MCAT- 512
cGPA- 3.58
bcpmGPA-3.62
graduate GPA-3.7( from 2 post-back courses)

Osminog

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why were you waitlisted with your stats at NYITCOM in the first place? Do you have issues with interviewing?

cbastor

Reaction score
I applied to DO very late, after getting my second rejection post interview. I sent out my secondary the last possible day, and had an interview on their last interview day

Dr. Meliodas

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why did you apply at all if you weren't willing to go. Why on Earth are there so many of these post! You took up the interview/acceptance of someone who actually wanted to go to DO schools.

Reactions: 3 users

dorster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're already posting that you "don't want to settle for DO school" trust me you should absolutely not go to DO school. You will constantly be comparing what you could have done as a DO to what you could have done if you waited a year and went to MD school. We do not need any other DO's in the profession who are "self loathing" types, and blame their DO degree for not reaching their own self prescribed ideal of what is success. Apply again. Maybe you won't get into MD school next cycle and being a doctor won't be in your cards, but at least you won't be constantly thinking you "settled". Theres plenty of DO's who are extremely successful, amazing physicians, but that attitude isn't what gets them there, so I think you answered your own question. Give the spot to someone who is waiting on the opportunity to be a physician and treat patients.

Reactions: 5 users

chaim123

Almost an MD
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in the middle of completing my amcas for this next cycle, and was accepted off the waitlist to NYITCOM. Now I'm unsure if I should continue reapplying or just go to NYIT.

I don't want to settle for DO, but I also don't want to ruin my chances of going to medical school.

I had 2 MD interviews. I think applying late (October), and not having a job at the time really hurt my chances of getting in.

My stats are:
MCAT- 512
cGPA- 3.58
bcpmGPA-3.62
graduate GPA-3.7( from 2 post-back courses)

Why do you think not having a job had anything to do with your ability to get interviews? Medical schools have no idea what you're doing after you submit your AMCAS - and if you submitted earlier there wouldn't be any questions.

cbastor

Reaction score
Why do you think not having a job had anything to do with your ability to get interviews? Medical schools have no idea what you're doing after you submit your AMCAS - and if you submitted earlier there wouldn't be any questions.

The supplemental apps ask what you're doing if you aren't in school

Dr. Meliodas

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mean as long as you don't say I am going to be unemployed and live off of my parents couch you should be fine. The fact that you didn't have a job would not have been the issue it is how you portrayed what you will be doing.