Do school psychologists take the EPPP and can they open private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@psych.meout

Point of order: the hcg standard is wholly made up political thing. If the standards are the basic necessities of neuro practice, then the people who made them are incompetent by their own standards. If the standards are not necessary for the founders, then they are not necessary.

Still salty that they literally locked reitan out of the conference.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but only on the doctoral level (PhD, PsyD)

You can absolutely work in private practice.

Lots of posters here don’t really know what they’re taking about.

Some of the finest child psychologists I know are have their PhD from an apa accredited school psych program. They did an apa accreditated internship. They make bank in private practice.

There really isn’t that much difference between clinical child psych and school psychology (I bet I just triggered some people with that statement).

There are like what three clinical child psych programs?

Clinical psychs cannot usually work in schools, either.

We can piss and moan over what diff between a school and neuro psych is. But that’s ******ed.

Hell I know lots of board certified neuropsychologists with PhDs in guess what.. school psychology.

The only state I’m aware of that limits your based on degree is Florida.

I’d rather Trust my kids with a PhD in school psych from an apa accredited program then your average rorshasch giving psyd. See how needlessly divisive that comment was?

Also, op you seem pretty “disagreeable” and that’s okay. But, it might rub some fools the wrong way in your professional career.

But, doctorate in school psych from an apa accredited institution can help you to assess, diagnose, and treat children, adolescents, students, etc.
Thank you, I’m just trying to see realistic options even if some think I’m not taking the nuances into consideration. A lot of my research has pointed to what you have said
It was not my intention to sound disagreeable, I try to be as open as I can be when it comes to advice. I tend to take exception when an individual believes that calling my choices unwise and my ambitions dumb (for lack of a better word) as that seems to be talking down instead of constructive criticism. To you and everyone else that gave actual advice I truly do thank you, I appreaciate your time as well. You guys rock!

Thank you, I’m just trying to see realistic options even if some think I’m not taking the nuances into consideration. A lot of my research has pointed to what you have said
It was not my intention to sound disagreeable, I try to be as open as I can be when it comes to advice. I tend to take exception when an individual believes that calling my choices unwise and my ambitions dumb (for lack of a better word) as that seems to be talking down instead of constructive criticism. To you and everyone else that gave actual advice I truly do thank you, I appreaciate your time as well. You guys rock!

Take the comments you cited with a grain of salt, many of those statements are not accurate.

Ditto.

I'm sure its possible... but I know literally zero and I work with a lot of neuropsychs.
Same. I have worked with and/or consulted with dozens of neuropsychs around the country and I know zero (boarded & not boarded) neuropsychologists who have a school psych degree.

ps. There are MAJOR differences in training between school psychologists and pediatric psychologists. There are even more differences when compared against pediatric neuropsychologists.

For full disclosure...i’ve lectured and taught in clinical psych & school psych programs & lectured in adult neuro & peds neuro fellowship programs.

Just curious, what pediatric non-neuro programs are there?
University of Miami
Kent State University
University of Pittsburgh (joint clinical-developmental program, I believe)
Brigham Young University
UCONN
University of Denver
Depaul University
Duke University
University of Georgia
Howard University
University of Indianapolis (PsyD)
University of Kansas
Loyola University Chicago
University of Memphis
University of Missouri-Columbia
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
Oklahoma State University
Penn State
University of Rhode Island
USC
Southern Illinois University
University of Southern Mississippi
St. John's University
Teacher's College - Columbia University
University of TExas Southwestern Medical Center
University of Utah
University of Washington
Wayne State

Pediatric =/= clinical child psych tho.

It isn't, that is why there is a Pediatric Div too (Division 54). However, there is certainly significant overlap, and members often belong to both divisions. Additionally, as it stands, it is not possible to be a board certified pediatric psychologist. However, you can be board certified in clinical child/adolescent psychology. Take that for what you will.

What's unclear to me, is why the hostility toward clinical psychologists? It isn't meant to be a criticism of school psychologists to point out that their training is often different from that of a clinical psychologist. So why so many derisive comments?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's unclear to me, is why the hostility toward clinical psychologists? It isn't meant to be a criticism of school psychologists to point out that their training is often different from that of a clinical psychologist. So why so many derisive comments?

I don't mind the derisive comments as much as I mind the blatantly false comments.

Reactions: 3 users
I think the psyd should not be a doctoral degree ...

I think a lot of clinical psychologists - who maybe took two or three child related classes get really salty when we work in private practice and take their money.

If you're worried about someone taking "cases", the level of money you're talking about is adorable.

But that's just the opinion of someone with a PsyD that's been accepted by the highest courts in the land.

Just know, OP, most boards love school psychologists and basically agree that we’re wualified to do assessment, therapy, and consultation.

"Wualified".......

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorta like claiming people disliking school psychs is demonstrating ignorance, while simultaneously deriding PsyDs. Because that's not a thing.

Reactions: 3 users
Note that I didn’t say gaggle.

No way in hell am I giving any clues to my geographic location (I like anonymity, especially in a professional forum like this). But theyre in three states. I’ll admit my training program was unique.

Dude, you might be surprised to know that a lot of ppl with phds in school psych keep it on the DL because of other people’s ignorance.
It's possible to get into the NBA. I don't think advising every child who plays basketball to expect that to be the outcome is a good idea.It's possible to drop out of school in 9th grade and do well. It's not the usual course. Same logic here. People aren't typically outliers. Advising the try and be outliers doesn't do people favors.

Reactions: 2 users
A clinical or counseling degree would meet what you want, while providing you far more flexibility and earning potential than a school psych degree.

Old post, but I want to interject for all the n00bs who google for information on school psychology. Please don't do a Ph.D. in school psychology or spend tons of money on a master's degree in clinical psychology. Instead, do an Ed.S. program (much easier to gain admission compared to PhD/PsyD Psych programs) and look for a job in the schools with a strong union and a decent scope of practice (not just psychoeducational assessments). There's such a huge shortage nationwide, you can usually find one. If you find a good school district, a career in school psychology is generally fairly well-paying with only two years of full-time school for the Ed.S. and a typically paid internship. I work in Chicago public schools and make 70k a year with only a few years of experience. After 15 years of work, I will be making six figures along with good benefits (dental, vision, healthcare). Illinois' pension system is a hot mess, but I make enough money that I can save independently for retirement and I paid off my debt from undergrad in a year. For some reason, a lot of the regulars on here think Ph.D. or bust, but sometimes that's not financially wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Old post, but I want to interject for all the n00bs who google for information on school psychology. Please don't do a Ph.D. in school psychology or spend tons of money on a master's degree in clinical psychology. Instead, do an Ed.S. program (much easier to gain admission compared to PhD/PsyD Psych programs) and look for a job in the schools with a strong union and a decent scope of practice (not just psychoeducational assessments). There's such a huge shortage nationwide, you can usually find one. If you find a good school district, a career in school psychology is generally fairly well-paying with only two years of full-time school for the Ed.S. and a typically paid internship. I work in Chicago public schools and make 70k a year with only a few years of experience. After 15 years of work, I will be making six figures along with good benefits (dental, vision, healthcare). Illinois' pension system is a hot mess, but I make enough money that I can save independently for retirement and I paid off my debt from undergrad in a year. For some reason, a lot of the regulars on here think Ph.D. or bust, but sometimes that's not financially wise.
I agree with this post- Licensed School Psychologists are very much needed in my area as well. Its a masters level credential with typically much less opportunity and financial costs for training. Salaries in my area are a little less than quoted above, but COL is a little less than Chicago (but still relatively high). I’ll agree that scope of practice does go beyond just psychoed assessments. However, my observation from working in schools is that testing is by far the primary responsibility, and with the shortage there are big testing needs and backlogs. It will depend on the district/school. Looking forward, I will say that BCBAs are encroaching somewhat on the treatment activities of school psychs. All districts in my area have an in-house BCBA (with a ridiculously, unethically large caseload, but that’s a topic for a different thread/board). I work in an area with relatively rural and small school districts. I have encountered several school psychologists who are the lone person in their role in the district. This can be isolating and provides limited opportunities for peer contact and consultation (I’ve actually been contracted to provide “peer” supervision to school psychologists).

In short- Masters level school psychologists are very much in demand. While job variability and salaries may be greater for doctoral level licensed psychologists, you can do a lot and get paid respectively as a ma level school psychologist. If that’s what you want to do, go for it! To some extent, the comparison between school psychologists (the ma level ones no work in schools) and clinical/counseling psychologists is not appropriate, as they are different training and licensure, despite some overlap.

As with any career, there are pros and cons, so be informed regarding training costs, licensure requirements, scope of practice issues, etc. Also keep an eye on developing trends (e.g., increased use of BCBAs), as well as local trends (if every school psych has left the district after less than a year, maybe be cautious about taking that job).

Th
In short- Masters level school psychologists are very much in demand. While job variability and salaries may be greater for doctoral level licensed psychologists, you can do a lot and get paid respectively as a ma level school psychologist. If that’s what you want to do, go for it! To some extent, the comparison between school psychologists (the ma level ones no work in schools) and clinical/counseling psychologists is not appropriate, as they are different training and licensure, despite some overlap.

As with any career, there are pros and cons, so be informed regarding training costs, licensure requirements, scope of practice issues, etc. Also keep an eye on developing trends (e.g., increased use of BCBAs), as well as local trends (if every school psych has left the district after less than a year, maybe be cautious about taking that job).

100% right on, though I've not heard of any discussion about the encroachment of BCBAs from anyone else. As a school psych, I believe you can get BCBA certification. I'll admit I don't know a ton about BCBA. That said, some of the more warm and fuzzy school psych programs won't offer BCBA training because of the unnecessary political controversy. I think the emphasis on BCBA might be regional?

I'll add if you don't like assessment, don't do school psychology! NASP, our professional organization, is trying to expand our scope of practice and have us use a more social justice framework. However, that's not really what schools want or need. Plus, it's not particularly scientific. I personally would have loved to do a Ph.D., but I realized the financial benefit of working for a good school district was just too good to turn down.