DO School Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dolphins1994

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a dumb question, but are there certain DO schools that are known for placing students into more competative residencies? (Ortho, rads, otarl.)

I know its more important on how you perform at school, but just curious as someone who wants to go into one of these fields, if there are certain schools I should be targeting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

The state schools (MSU, OSU, OUH) and the original 5 DO schools (A.T. Still, Midwestern, KCU, DMU, & PCOM) tend to have good connections/alumni spread and resources (research, board prep., etc.) which can help. There are other great schools as well, but these are the ones that generally everyone agrees upon.

Resources only help if you utilize them, and none of it will matter if you can't score well on USMLE/COMLEX; it is entirely up to the student to match into a competitive field.

EDIT: RowanSOM and TCOM are a couple more schools that most people tend to agree upon as well.

Last edited:
The state schools (MSU, OSU, OUH) and the original 5 DO schools (A.T. Still, Midwestern, KCU, DMU, & PCOM) tend to have good connections/alumni spread and resources (research, board prep., etc.) which can help. There are other great schools as well, but these are the ones that generally everyone agrees upon.

Resources only help if you utilize them, and none of it will matter if you can't score well on USMLE/COMLEX; it is entirely up to the student to match into a competitive field.
I'd add RowanSOM to that list as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the general opinion on LECOM and NOVA?

Nova has a good rep.. I actually shadowed a DO surgery resident at a top university hospital who was a LECOM grad so I'd imagine if you go there and do well you can compete.

EDIT: RowanSOM and TCOM are a couple more schools that most people tend to agree upon as well.

So Midwestern would probably be a better choice than VCOM-CC?

The takeaway I was trying to get across was: you'll pick the fruit of your own labors come 4rth year/matching.. a school can only do so much for you.

If you're comparing two schools, you have to weigh the social factors that might come into play as well (e.g. will you be happy with the environment that school provides?) Also tuition is much more expensive at Midwestern.

I whole-heartedly believe that you need to be mentally healthy to succeed in life, and that means different things for everybody. For me, it's living near a bigger city, preferably in a warm(ish) area with lots of things to do.. that way on the occasional off day I'll have from school, I have plenty of options to choose from with regards to how to spend my free time. Living near family/friends wasn't a priority of mine. For others it may be living in close proximity to your support system is most important (family, friends, etc.)

Only you know what's best for you; SDN can only get you so far with those decisions. There are students that match into competitive specialties at every DO school, and to be one of those students one day you need to set yourself up for success.

What makes YOU successful as a student?

Reactions: 2 users
Yes. Look at match lists. For example, KCU has sent people to Derm at the Mayo clinic.

Note: this post is meant to say nothing about the quality of said residencies.

But the odds are ~2/3 that you'll end up in Primary Care.

Not sure if this is a dumb question, but are there certain DO schools that are known for placing students into more competative residencies? (Ortho, rads, otarl.)

I know its more important on how you perform at school, but just curious as someone who wants to go into one of these fields, if there are certain schools I should be targeting.

Reactions: 1 user
In my cycle, I have learned to follow the school that gives me the right vibe, offers the right resources. Most schools do, some kind of leave you off to yourself for figuring it out. I don't really find anything amazing about the established schools cause it just seems so many ppl come with the mindset of acing their classes and being super competitive at almost any school. Again, there is only so much a school's name can do but if you get an interview due to their connection during residency and supposedly you don't prepare well (I know something will fudge up) then the title of that school will really not hold leverage. Go where you can get the confidence.

It's all on you buddy. Campbell is a brand new school, 1st graduating class, and someone from there matched into CaseWestern for AOA/ACGME accredited Dermatology. I believe someone from MUCOM (I think) also did as well (MUCOM also graduating their first class).

These schools have no reputation, no previous students go to these residencies, the residency is in a different state so I doubt that faculty from either of these schools knew the staff and attending sat CaseWestern, AND they still matched!!!

That should be evidence enough that it's much more what you put into it/ what your personal capabilities are than to the institution you attend, at least for the upper echelon.

BUT, there are hidden gem perks in each school, especially those with GME. Ex. I think PCOM usually takes 1 of their students for their own ENT program for at least 1 of the spots, I also think that for WesternU they hold about 2 spots at Loma Linda for Psych (this is pure speculation, may not be true). CCOM someone mentioned has 4 ortho surg spots in a program that exclusively interviews their own students, etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 1 of the 2 Derm spots created by CUSOM goes to one of their students each year.

It's all on you buddy. Campbell is a brand new school, 1st graduating class, and someone from there matched into CaseWestern for AOA/ACGME accredited Dermatology. I believe someone from MUCOM (I think) also did as well (MUCOM also graduating their first class).

These schools have no reputation, no previous students go to these residencies, the residency is in a different state so I doubt that faculty from either of these schools knew the staff and attending sat CaseWestern, AND they still matched!!!

That should be evidence enough that it's much more what you put into it/ what your personal capabilities are than to the institution you attend, at least for the upper echelon.

BUT, there are hidden gem perks in each school, especially those with GME. Ex. I think PCOM usually takes 1 of their students for their own ENT program for at least 1 of the spots, I also think that for WesternU they hold about 2 spots at Loma Linda for Psych (this is pure speculation, may not be true). CCOM someone mentioned has 4 ortho surg spots in a program that exclusively interviews their own students, etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 1 of the 2 Derm spots created by CUSOM goes to one of their students each year.

How do you know that ccom has that 4 ortho spot reservation? Is that like advertised and well known???

Perhaps, but the Midwesterns are quite expensive, and you can probably obtain a similar residency outcome if you go to another cheaper, established school.

In my cycle, I have learned to follow the school that gives me the right vibe, offers the right resources. Most schools do, some kind of leave you off to yourself for figuring it out. I don't really find anything amazing about the established schools cause it just seems so many ppl come with the mindset of acing their classes and being super competitive at almost any school. Again, there is only so much a school's name can do but if you get an interview due to their connection during residency and supposedly you don't prepare well (I know something will fudge up) then the title of that school will really not hold leverage. Go where you can get the confidence.

I'd be more concerned about institutional structure and the quality of rotation sites when it comes to newer schools.

I've met people who have come from carribean schools and gotten into top rated, competitive residencies in the states. I've also met people from DO schools that have gotten into top derm. residencies. Their schools obviously weren't prestigious but they instead did extremely well on board scores, had good letters and did everything right.

It's up to you, school you come from doesn't seem to be as important as board scores and letters of rec. . Pick a school/location that you will maximize your learning and don't put too much clout into school rankings as you have the most effect on your chances as you learn the material.

Reactions: 1 user