DO school requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akon01

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I am a Junior in university right now, and even though I don't plan on applying until senior year, I want to know what is required for DO schools? There are obviously the regular pre-requisite classes, but in terms of shadowing a DO physician and anything of that sort, what should I do?

I've been getting really interested in DO schools and like their joint focus on holistic medicine working with pharmaceuticals more than the traditional MD school and their mission statements. I had a lot of plans like all other pre-meds for extracurriculars but those, unfortunately, seem far out of reach with COVID and all that not so fun stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely recommend shadowing a DO and securing a DO physician letter if you can (not required for all schools but certainly helps). I also recommend working with underserved populations and making sure you have some community service experience. I know that things are difficult with COVID, but these kinds of experiences will really help your application. However, do experiences that actually interest you - do not just do things to check off boxes because it can become apparent in interviews.

Hey, everyone. I am a Junior in university right now, and even though I don't plan on applying until senior year, I want to know what is required for DO schools? There are obviously the regular pre-requisite classes, but in terms of shadowing a DO physician and anything of that sort, what should I do?

I've been getting really interested in DO schools and like their joint focus on holistic medicine working with pharmaceuticals more than the traditional MD school and their mission statements. I had a lot of plans like all other pre-meds for extracurriculars but those, unfortunately, seem far out of reach with COVID and all that not so fun stuff.
Everything that is required for MD schools, except a LOR from a clinician. Lacking a DO LOR won't hurt, but having one always helps. However, there are some schools that require a DO LOR.

DO schools also aren't as anal about research as many MD schools are.

Due to COVID, you may not need the LORs and/or shadowing. However, you're going to have to do the homework and check on each school's admissions website as to what they require or don't this coming cycle.

Reactions: 1 user