DO School to DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kygirl12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently withdrew from DO school in good standing to try to attend DPT school. I have always wanted to be a physical therapist and have 3 years worth of physical therapy tech work experience. My GPA and GRE are both good. I was just wondering if anyone knew of someone who went from med school to PT school? Once again, not a dismissal, I withdrew in good standing. Was wondering what admissions might think of this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like PT Schools really like people transitioning to new careers/interests. I have a couple friends who decided their current track (DO, PA, and DC) wasn't right for them. They all got into PT schools with no problems. It makes you a diverse addition to the school.

Last edited:
I think that as long as you have good reasons and experiences to back up the switch and can show them that you are dedicated to getting into and completing PT school you'll have a decent chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I was really worried because I have heard some negative opinions on this. Definitely made me feel better.

It seems like PT Schools really like people transitioning to new careers/interests. I have a couple friends who decided their current track (DO, PA, and DC) wasn't right for them. They all got into PT schools with no problems. It makes you a diverse addition to the school. If they'll accept someone leaving chiropractic school (DC is kind of our opposite in approach to care), they'll definitely be ok with DO.

Out of curiosity, what about DC makes it opposite of DPT in approach?

To put it simply:

PT intervention is meant to restore and have the pt maintain that function.
DC intervention is more of a 'return on a regular basis for tx and relief' kind of thing.

So PT's aim is to not see that patient again after the completion of their treatment (how ever long it is). lol

There are also other differences in terms of the specific treatment approaches.

To the OP, have you thought long and hard about this decision? What aspects of PT do you perceive will make you "happier" or lead to a more fulfilling career than being a physician?

As it relates to the DC vs. DPT thing, there are a number of fundamental differences between being a chiropractor and a physical therapist. Honestly so many that I really don't even want to delve into them. DCs ultimate claim to fame is that most, if not all, pathology stems from the spine or the nervous system. At least that is how it has been explained to me by DCs, DC students, and anecdotal accounts. So maybe your common cold or flu is caused by some spinal misalignment. Maybe your cancer or other cellular pathology is caused by some trauma to the nervous system or spine.

The foundation of physical therapy, as it practiced today, is movement functionality. Physical therapists are fundamentally concerned with the anatomical(namely MSK, NMSC, Integ anatomy), physiological, and neurological pathologies associated with how people move on a daily basis. That movement/movement pathology can range on a continuum from ADLs to the very complex biomechanics of throwing a football or baseball at the professional level. There are obviously a multitude of movements set up along that continuum. There is some overlap, though, between chiro and PT. There is still a battle about who can and cannot do manipulations. Around and round we go, when will it stop nobody knows!

Many argue that PT has a much stronger scientific base for some of its interventions than chiropractors. This is one of the reasons why the medical community appears to much more accepting of PT than chiros. There are other historical factors that are political in nature that also play a role as well. Bottom line, human being were designed to move. If we do not move, there is insurmountable evidence to suggest that any number of pathologies will ensue. PTs and PT researchers spend their careers facilitating and assessing movement in patients.

BTW, that is a very simplified version of both professions!