DO school with the best food nearby

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I wasn't hungry 2 minutes ago before looking at this thread... but now....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Love Yu's Mandarin. I am making the Homer Simpson mouth watering face just think about it.

I don't think I've ever been to the Whole Foods in Schaumburg for a burger. I will have to try them next time I'm in the area.

Ooh, remember Barnaby's?

No, I'm not familiar with Barnaby's. Google tells me the area was upset when it closed down but I never heard of it!

Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM/East Lansing just got themselves a HopCat, best mac and cheese you'll ever have as well as amazing craft beer. Also as someone else mentioned here or in the other derailed thread, Jet's Pizza hands down has the best square pizza.
But most importantly Golden Harvest.

Kirksville just got an awesome doughnut shop called donut palace. Some of the best doughnuts I've had. Probably the only really good food thing near KCOM in my opinion haha.
Shoutout to Greek Corner, too.

The rest isn't bad, but nothing else blows my mind either...

I heard Pomona has dope Mexican food

AT Still- Mesa (SOMA) has arguably the best food nearby compared to all other DO schools. Here's why:

Best Thai food in the US: Thai Basil,near the corner of Rural and Lemon street. Try out their eggplant basil entree and their pad thai. Delish!

Best Indian food in the US: Delhi Palace, near the corner of Rural and University. Try out their lunch buffet, good value for money. Most Indian restaurants in the US sell crappy overspiced greasy versions of Indian food, Delhi Palace sells food that's a bit more authentic.

Best Burger & Beer in the US: Four Peaks Brewery, near 8th street and dorsey. They make the beer on premise so it's fresh and tasty. The burgers and beer battered fries are out of this world. Try the veggie sandwich made with beer bread. Delish!

Best Mexican in the US: Filiberto's on Apache and Dorsey. Cheap and very tasty. Open till late in the night. Try the potato and egg burrito.

Best Middle Eastern in the US: Munchie's on Mill Avenue, Tempe, AZ.

Best Greek in the US: My Big Fat Greek Restaurant, Mill Ave, Tempe, AZ

Best Chinese: China Express Cafe, mekong plaza.

Best English food in the US: Cornish Pasty Co (Tempe) and Rula Bula (Mill Ave)

Best Italian: Oregano's (near Mill Ave)

Of course, after the meal, you have to check out the rocking nightclubs (best in the world) in Scottsdale like Axis etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I know Suwanee is a suburb of Atlanta, but do any GA PCOMers know of any places more local?

Alright, Gonna throw this out there. Here's Hattiesburg...

The WCU Cafeteria is pretty good. All you can eat for 6 bucks. Some of the best fried chicken and onion rings ever.

Topher's is close to campus-the fried pepperjack wedges are great.

Glory Bound Gyro has an abundance of choices, plus 5 buck gyros with College ID on Tuesday

Keg and Barrel has a extensive selection of craft beers and a full range from the local microbrewery

Leatha's BBQ-haven't been there yet, but all the reviews say it's good.

TouroCOM NY has a White Castle literally right next door. :D

I think AT Still- AZ is lucky it's so near the ASU (sun devil) campus. The ASU main campus has the best food in the surrounding area and I mean the absolute best.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM/East Lansing just got themselves a HopCat, best mac and cheese you'll ever have as well as amazing craft beer. Also as someone else mentioned here or in the other derailed thread, Jet's Pizza hands down has the best square pizza.

Jets is the best. I can barely stand any other pizza. If you find yourself in Michigan, take a stop at Jet's

OUH-COM Dublin. Surprising to me, Columbus has a ton of good eats.

Jets is the best. I can barely stand any other pizza. If you find yourself in Michigan, take a stop at Jet's
Im sick of Jet's. It's our main food vendor for when we have lunch lectures.

For those interviewing at NSU-COM, I present to you one of my favorites: Tap42. If you're interviewing on a Tuesday, you should visit Tap42 on Monday night for $5 Prohibition burger (the veggie burger is also very good). Enjoy a good brew and feast on a delicious burger the night before the big day, just don't drink too much! The cool thing about Tap42 is that Broward General is a stone's throw away. It's literally across the street.

proh1.jpg

moveto-ftlauderale-12.jpg

Also, you MUST try the sweet potato fries with warmed spiced cream that is absolutely amazing.

tap42.jpg
I second NSU as well. What's that place with the mini sandwiches? Where you can get 2 dollar sangria as well?

Hmmm, gotta plug in my old alma mater (PCOM) - some of the places that I've tried. If you are a student at PCOM, or get invited to an interview, or happen to be in the area, check out some of these places. Most fall within the budget of medical student- a couple you just have to treat yourself or have someone else treat (e.g., reward for passing Step 1, graduation from med school, etc)

Cheesesteaks - Mama's Pizzeria (within walking distance of the school)
l.jpg

Crab fries at Chickie's and Pete's
6a00e0098ae0f3883300e5536ca30a8833-350wi

Fried Chickens and Donuts at Federal Donuts

20111108-178539-federal-donuts-zataar-chicken.jpg

federal-donuts.jpg

Bahn Mi and Pho at Pho Cali
l.jpg
l.jpg

Sushi by the Original Iron Chef Japanese (Morimoto)

morimoto.jpg

Kobe Beef Taco and chicken paella at Verdad - in Bryn Mawr
l.jpg
l.jpg

and for dessert

Sriracha Honey Lemonade and Sugar Plum Nut Cookie at Cookie's Confidential
Ay0tDMaCYAEVSkT.jpg:large
Haha this just made me so excited for PCOM

I second NSU as well. What's that place with the mini sandwiches? Where you can get 2 dollar sangria as well?

100 Montaditos. That place is damn good! Their Nutella and hazelnut chocolate dessert sandwich is amazing... I could eat 3 or more of those easily.

So if anyone is interviewing on a Thursday I highly recommend 100 Montaditos on Wednesday night! The sandwiches are $1 each and wine/sangria is $2.

100 Montaditos. That place is damn good! Their Nutella and hazelnut chocolate dessert sandwich is amazing... I could eat 3 or more of those easily.

So if anyone is interviewing on a Thursday I highly recommend 100 Montaditos on Wednesday night! The sandwiches are $1 each and wine/sangria is $2.

Pretty sure 1 dollar sandwiches are no longer(not completly sure). And it is always so packed on wednesdays. That place is a chain though.

Pretty sure 1 dollar sandwiches are no longer(not completly sure). And it is always so packed on wednesdays. That place is a chain though.

Admittedly, I haven't been in quite a few months, so that could very well be the case. My girlfriend and I try to go before it gets crowded, but we've been once when it is crowded and even then it didn't take long to get our food.

It is a chain but it's still good. It's not like they are all over the U.S. either. I believe they are in like 5 or 6 states in the U.S.

Admittedly, I haven't been in quite a few months, so that could very well be the case. My girlfriend and I try to go before it gets crowded, but we've been once when it is crowded and even then it didn't take long to get our food.

It is a chain but it's still good. It's not like they are all over the U.S. either. I believe they are in like 5 or 6 states in the U.S.

True I believe its more of a European chain. And usually when its not busy at that place its still takes forever. 1 dollar day and forget about it! Might as well go to five guys/lime/cheese course/gyroville at that point

True I believe its more of a European chain. And usually when its not busy at that place its still takes forever. 1 dollar day and forget about it! Might as well go to five guys/lime/cheese course/gyroville at that point

Call me crazy but I think Five Guys is terrible, and the one time I went to Lime I didn't think it was anything special. We've been wanting to try Cheese Course, and I don't know if we'd ever go to Gyroville for dinner. If we are in The Fountains for dinner it's usually for Padrino's or Total Wine.

Call me crazy but I think Five Guys is terrible, and the one time I went to Lime I didn't think it was anything special. We've been wanting to try Cheese Course, and I don't know if we'd ever go to Gyroville for dinner. If we are in The Fountains for dinner it's usually for Padrino's or Total Wine.

Five guys is terrible???
Whatt. Its artery clogging goodness i tell ya. Tons of other burger chains either way.
Gyroville is OK for lunch. Kind of a Greek deadspot tbh. Cheese course is fine also.

Lime is also fine for fast Mexican. Tijuana is better though.

But Yea south Florida Cuban food is by far the best.

Five guys is terrible???
Whatt. Its artery clogging goodness i tell ya. Tons of other burger chains either way.
Gyroville is OK for lunch. Kind of a Greek deadspot tbh. Cheese course is fine also.

Lime is also fine for fast Mexican. Tijuana is better though.

But Yea south Florida Cuban food is by far the best.

Hah. Idk... if we're out for a burger it's usually either BurgerFi or Tap42.

I'm assuming by Tijuana you're talking about Tijuana Taxi Co.? If so, then I definitely approve! I think the reason why I didn't like Five Guys was because the burger was meh, and the fries were soggy and gross. If I wanted soggy and gross I would go to any fast food place (except Chick fil A or, my favorite, Pollo Tropical. I've definitely gone to PT just for the fries lol).

Hah. Idk... if we're out for a burger it's usually either BurgerFi or Tap42.

I'm assuming by Tijuana you're talking about Tijuana Taxi Co.? If so, then I definitely approve! I think the reason why I didn't like Five Guys was because the burger was meh, and the fries were soggy and gross. If I wanted soggy and gross I would go to any fast food place (except Chick fil A or, my favorite, Pollo Tropical. I've definitely gone to PT just for the fries lol).

Yea Tijuana taxi co.

And i actually don't like pollo. The one by target is better IMO. Rather just go outcross the street for laspadas or sub cafe

Yea Tijuana taxi co.

And i actually don't like pollo. The one by target is better IMO. Rather just go outcross the street for laspadas or sub cafe

You sound like a local, because I don't think I've heard of Sub Cafe. Laspadas is amazing.

This is such a terrible thread. I'm going to LECOM-Erie, and the distance between me and excellent food is just about the only thing which gives me pause.

My actual plan is to take a crockpot and a ricecooker and feed my fellow students decent homemade foods as much as possible. I've been thinking about great potluck recipes that are easily adaptable for varied dietary restrictions.

EDIT: For instance: I found taco bowl molds on amazon for cheap. You can make crispy perfect taco salad tortilla shells that stack nicely using the molds, making them in advance and setting them aside. Provide bowls of spicy ground beef, cilantro lime shredded chicken, lettuce, tomato, pico, cheeses, beans, guac, etc. and let people build their own taco salad to their own dietary needs. Works for vegetarians, carnivores, low-carbers (skip the bowl), etc. For under $40, I could easily feed 2 dozen people as much as they could eat of good, nutritious food, all prepared in advance.

Guess I am saying that the culinary delights in Erie will be at my place. =)

Last edited:
Either NSUCOM or TOURO-COM NY would win this. Hands down.

AT Still- Mesa (SOMA) has arguably the best food nearby compared to all other DO schools. Here's why:

Best Thai food in the US: Thai Basil,near the corner of Rural and Lemon street. Try out their eggplant basil entree and their pad thai. Delish!

Best Indian food in the US: Delhi Palace, near the corner of Rural and University. Try out their lunch buffet, good value for money. Most Indian restaurants in the US sell crappy overspiced greasy versions of Indian food, Delhi Palace sells food that's a bit more authentic.

Best Burger & Beer in the US: Four Peaks Brewery, near 8th street and dorsey. They make the beer on premise so it's fresh and tasty. The burgers and beer battered fries are out of this world. Try the veggie sandwich made with beer bread. Delish!

Best Mexican in the US: Filiberto's on Apache and Dorsey. Cheap and very tasty. Open till late in the night. Try the potato and egg burrito.

Best Middle Eastern in the US: Munchie's on Mill Avenue, Tempe, AZ.

Best Greek in the US: My Big Fat Greek Restaurant, Mill Ave, Tempe, AZ

Best Chinese: China Express Cafe, mekong plaza.

Best English food in the US: Cornish Pasty Co (Tempe) and Rula Bula (Mill Ave)

Best Italian: Oregano's (near Mill Ave)

Of course, after the meal, you have to check out the rocking nightclubs (best in the world) in Scottsdale like Axis etc.

This post is just silly.

Want to eat only Mexican food and In N Out? Go to Western Pomona.

Want to eat only Mexican food and In N Out? Go to Western Pomona.

Some of the best chinese food on the west coast is located in the San Gabriel Valley....Western is definitely strategically positioned to make the most of this blessing!

I'm bumping this thread now for the current first years who want to talk about their schools.

Also as @Goro would say this is how you properly pick between schools.

ATSU soma has a Cafe Rio nearby, which is areally tasty take on Mexican.

Joes farm grille in Gilbert is also very very good, and was featured in Food Network.

From my interview at ACOM, they said there were lots of places to eat. Can anyone comment on that??