DO school with the best OMM training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hottie

Hottest Hottie
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which DO school or schools has/have the best OMM training? :)

Members don't see this ad.

im not too sure..but i would assume KCOM would have the best OMM training..they are the founding school of osteopathic medicine..they better have at least a top notch OMM education..

mikeypo0 said:
im not too sure..but i would assume KCOM would have the best OMM training..they are the founding school of osteopathic medicine..they better have at least a top notch OMM education..

That was my guess, but who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU has a VERY strong OMM program. Two complete years, excellent staff, lots of opportunities for practice. I understand our students consistently get top scores in that section of the COMLEX. If our program is not the best in the nation, then it's definitely in the top 2 or 3. It's one of the things DMU is known for... it's very strong OMM department.

UNECOM has the best OMM facilities (I don't know about training).

Great big open room with huge windows and ~30 Foot+ ceilings overlooking trees and snow in the winter.

hottie said:

I don't know who has the "best," but KCOM has the most.

DMU, hands down.

Depends on your definition of "Best". Of the schools I have interviewed at and seen, DMU has the smallest OMM class sizes. They also score very high on that section of comlex.

docbill said:
UNECOM has the best OMM facilities (I don't know about training).

Great big open room with huge windows and ~30 Foot+ ceilings overlooking trees and snow in the winter.
WVSOM has a big open room with huge windows and a view of trees and snow too.

Members don't see this ad :)
hottie said:

I am not going to say VCOM is the best because the discipline is pretty subjective itself, and best for one person isn't best for another; however, I will say at VCOM you get the best training there is to get in OMM. I think the credentials of the cadre here speak for themselves.

Since we are associated with V-Tech, a Division 1 school, our docs here are the team physicians for all the sports programs--Football, B-Ball, etc... VCOM has a sports medicine fellowship which of course is heavy in OMM so the docs are all very well versed in OMM. During our OMM labs the docs as well as the fellows are here supervising our training.

Being part of the Sports Medicine club at VCOM gives you access to these athletes and all their aches and pains, and the SM club provides a certain amount of medical coverage at many of the sporting events. Though I am not really sure as a student what the scope of practice is or what exactly the team physicians allow the students to do since I myself haven't participated in the SM club.

The head team physician at VCOM for VT has also been named the team physician for the next US Winter Olympics Team. Not too shabby an achievement. The sports world is really becoming aware of the benefits of OMM and many professional sports teams are picking up DO's as their team physicians.

I think if you are looking for a school that provides top notch OMM training you will find it at VCOM. Since I do not go to KCOM or anywhere else I obviously can't comment about their program but I know you will get good training here at VCOM as well as having exposure to many types of patients and athletes who really benefit from OMM.

Without claiming to know what other OMM departments are like, I will go ahead and say I think the OMM department at NSU is definitely a strong point, and probably a little "quirky" compared to other schools. The faculty itself is "quirky": three D.O.'s (one OMM, one NMM, one sports med), one Ph.D. (who incidently is also the associate editor of the JAOA), and a PT. We are also taught by the OPP fellows and sports medicine residents.

The Miami Dolphins practice literally next door to the school, and the OMM department maintains a strong association with them. The Dolphins trainers even come to teach a few OMM labs.

Another "interesting" caveat is that we have lectures on other therapies such as acupuncture--and although they aren't tested on boards, we are told we can use them as a treatment modality in practice.

Perhaps the best part is that Dr. Wallace and Dr. Sandhouse write "a majority" of the OMM questions for the boards--so questions on exams are very similar.

hottie said:
I would say UNECOM because when I shadowed with a group of residents and attending physicians in an OMM residency program, they all agreed strongly that UNECOM is the best school for OMM training. I would not know personally, but i'm sure they were very well informed and experienced with student from almost all DO schools.

could you indicate:

number of semesters with OMM
hours spend on OMM (lab + Lecture),
ratio of students:teacher (professor/teaching assistant)
set-up in lab (ie. pair or group of four)
set-up of OMM lecture

thanks

4 semesters + clinical rotation component in FM
2.5 hour lab, 1 hour lecture/ week mandatory, more UAAO etc. optional
Usually about 10 students /1 instructor in lab
Work in rotating pairs (each week a new partner) each pair uses a table
Lecture is an explanation of the lab for the most part, we have a functional anatomy lecture added on for the first couple months of first year to help with dynamics and anatomy.

I am a KCOM grad and I don't know about "best"...but I do know that KCOM takes OMM very seriously.....there were a couple of good friends of mine who "fifth-yeared" (failed and had to stay and extra year) because they blew off OMM.

TUCOM Nevada has a very strong program. Dr. John Jones, our program director, started Western's OMM program back in the late 70s and headed PCOM's OMM Deparment for a number of years before coming here. Dr. Paul Rennie is the sort of 'second in command' and has done OMM research and has had books published etc... Both of them have amazing knowledgable and experience, along with other faculty. From what I've heard we have among the most advanced program in the country, although some areas are emphasized more than others.

This is probably the case in other schools at well, certain areas of OMM are delved into more deeply than others.

travis said:
TUCOM Nevada has a very strong program. Dr. John Jones, our program director, started Western's OMM program back in the late 70s and headed PCOM's OMM Deparment for a number of years before coming here. Dr. Paul Rennie is the sort of 'second in command' and has done OMM research and has had books published etc... Both of them have amazing knowledgable and experience, along with other faculty. From what I've heard we have among the most advanced program in the country, although some areas are emphasized more than others.

This is probably the case in other schools at well, certain areas of OMM are delved into more deeply than others.

I hear that WVSOM program is pretty good. I don't know all the stats you are looking for so maybe on of the schools grads of current students could chime in on that one!

DMU seemed to be strong, and people I know from KCOM seemed to know their OMM....KCUMB is variable---if you want to get into it you can, but seemingly most don't.

travis said:

To expound on what Travis said...Dr. Jones has also had intimate working relationships with Dr. Irvin Korr (Noble Prize Nominee for Axoplasmic Transport and known for the "second wave" of osteopathic medicine) and Lawrence Jones (founder of Jones Strain/ Counterstrain)... two OMM superstars. We supposedly have the strongest Counterstrain Program (among others) in the country. So I would agree, our OMM Program here at TUN-COM is very strong.

Maybe we shadowed at the same location but UNE always came up when I asked the residents and one of the attendings.

jmv10 said:
I would say UNECOM because when I shadowed with a group of residents and attending physicians in an OMM residency program, they all agreed strongly that UNECOM is the best school for OMM training. I would not know personally, but i'm sure they were very well informed and experienced with student from almost all DO schools.