Do schools know if you apply for the AAMC fee assistance program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsparrow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows if the AAMC informs medical schools of who applies for the FAP. I'm thinking that if they do, it might hurt your chances at the school itself since they know you're somewhat poor. I fit into the profile category for the FAP, but I could just take out a few thousand extra in school loans to pay for the application cycle, if I thought it would hurt my chances for getting an acceptance. What do you guys think?

Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows if the AAMC informs medical schools of who applies for the FAP. I'm thinking that if they do, it might hurt your chances at the school itself since they know you're somewhat poor. I fit into the profile category for the FAP, but I could just take out a few thousand extra in school loans to pay for the application cycle, if I thought it would hurt my chances for getting an acceptance. What do you guys think?

Thanks! :D

Well sometimes they know automatically, and sometimes they will ask for your FAP documentation when dealing with secondary application fees. I think it does not hurt your chances whatsoever, and that it might actually help at some schools because they will know that you come from a modest background and have overcome a lot of obstacles to get here. There will that rare school (NYMC) that does not take FAP secondary fee waivers, and I highly doubt that it would negatively affect your chances. But would you really want to go to a school that doesn't want to take "poorer" applicants who have overcome obstacles? I sure wouldn't.
FYI: I was an FAP applicant and was offered 14 allopathic interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well sometimes they know automatically, and sometimes they will ask for your FAP documentation when dealing with secondary application fees. I think it does not hurt your chances whatsoever, and that it might actually help at some schools because they will know that you come from a modest background and have overcome a lot of obstacles to get here. There will that rare school (NYMC) that does not take FAP secondary fee waivers, and I highly doubt that it would negatively affect your chances. But would you really want to go to a school that doesn't want to take "poorer" applicants who have overcome obstacles? I sure wouldn't.
FYI: I was an FAP applicant and was offered 14 allopathic interviews.
and thier seconday is 100$$$ gosh. some schools that claim to be for the "disadvantaged" dont accept it either..which i dont understand.

yes and that actually helps with secondary fees. some schools give you an automatic waiver if you have the aamc fee waiver. good luck!