Do schools look at primary app before MCAT is received?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BS1026

Class of 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I am thinking about applying early decision to one of NJ's state schools. My concern is that my application will be delayed (given that you cannot submit your application to other schools until you hear back from the early decision one).

However, I will not be taking my MCAT until July 2, which means I will not have my scores back until early August and the school I'm thinking of applying EDP to is notorious for responding back to the applicant with a decision well before October (usually mid to late August). I know people who had interview invites 3 days after their MCAT score was received and a decision three weeks after their interview.

I guess my question is: Do medical schools look at primary applications before they receive that person's MCAT score? If so, I looks like I would be delaying my application but if not, it looks like I'll only be delaying my application approximately three weeks (given that my MCAT score would be released in early August and I would have an EDP decision by late August).

Members don't see this ad.

No, you won't be considered for an interview without an MCAT score. Early decision or not

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't even get IIs (secondaries) without an MCAT right?

You don't even get IIs (secondaries) without an MCAT right?

An interview invite (II) is not the same as a secondary application. A secondary application is usually just a few more essays and such to fill out that are specific to the school, and there is a fee, ranging anywhere from $25 to ~$125. Most schools will send a secondary to anyone who submits a primary to their school, even if there's no MCAT yet.

Only after you have EVERYTHING in--AMCAS, secondary, LORs, MCAT, and anything else required--THEN you are considered for an interview offer.

Oh lol, I always thought II meant secondary...whoops.

Got it, thanks Ismet!

Very helpful. Thank you everyone!

Oh lol, I always thought II meant secondary...whoops.

Got it, thanks Ismet!
You're not the only one. Shocked posts when people hear of "prewriting IIs" are the some of the SDN gems, classic stuff aside.