DO schools might not have ranks/tiers, but there is definitely a PECKING ORDER!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What? RVU and BCOM are for-profit... The only thing it might mean is a raise in tuition..

I had no idea. I have not researched those two because I am not applying to them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What a month to be alive on SDN, two of these threads in just a week or two! Such excitement, I wonder if the responses change or not? Let's sit around and find out :beat:

Imagine seeing these multiple times a year every year throughout all of med school and probably beyond...

Lol LECOM is going to court and is about to lose their tax exemption status but you think RVU is shady. Okay. Cool. You do you bro.

Also, TouroNY is a mess, CCOM is one of the most expensive medical school in the country, and NYITCOM has a class size of 320 with a satellite campus that's in shambles. But, yeah, go ahead and consider them "big peckers"

Dude, way to make it sound like its actually losing its "non-profit" status. Its not losing its federal non-profit status. That's ridiculous. You seem to have very little understanding of what's going on.

The school and many buildings under "LECOM Health" receive tax exemption from the local Erie county government. Erie county is basically strapped for cash, so they are stripping a bunch of organizations that have local property tax exemption on their properties. LECOM is in no way losing their tax exempt status. That would be ridiculous.

This sort of thing honestly happens all the time.

Also, I believe you're wrong about Seton Hill. Last I heard, they already signed the renewal contract. The relationship is solid and Seton Hill changed their massive sign at their entrance and rather than having a tiny little mention of LECOM in one block, its now the second largest part of the sign (under "Seton Hill University"). @ortnakas might have more info about this though.

Wait, so now LECOM is officially the first for-profit DO school?

With its weird policies and budget cuts, does that make it the DO equivalent of the Caribbean?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future

RVUCOM and BCOM are both for-profit DO schools and were established as for-profit from the beginning. California Northstate is the first recent for-profit US MD school. LECOM isn't losing non-profit status, IP just doesn't understand how to evaluate news articles apparently.

What "budget cuts"?

I'd say the school that is "most" like a Carib school would fall to either Touro-NY for its shady acceptance/deferment practices this last cycle and RVUCOM, because its literally owned and founded by the same guy who previously owned 2 Carib MD schools before he sold them to DeVry. Other than that though, RVUCOM seems solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
RVUCOM and BCOM are both for-profit DO schools and were established as for-profit from the beginning. California Northstate is the first recent for-profit US MD school. LECOM isn't losing non-profit status, IP just doesn't understand how to evaluate news articles apparently.

What "budget cuts"?

I'd say the school that is "most" like a Carib school would fall to either Touro-NY for its shady acceptance/deferment practices this last cycle and RVUCOM, because its literally owned and founded by the same guy who previously owned 2 Carib MD schools before he sold them to DeVry. Other than that though, RVUCOM seems solid.

They cut the education budget compared to other schools. For example they don't let you do your own dissections. You either watch you professor do it, or you use a simulation/watch a video of it.

And I would never attend Touro NY because of their shady local, but how are their practices shady? And I have also heard that about RVU.

How are for-profit medical schools even allowed? That just seems shady as f*ck in and of itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
They cut the education budget compared to other schools. For example they don't let you do your own dissections. You either watch you professor do it, or you use a simulation/watch a video of it.

And I would never attend Touro NY because of their shady local, but how are their practices shady? And I have also heard that about RVU.

How are for-profit medical schools even allowed? That just seems shady as f*ck in and of itself.

No they did not "cut" their education budget.

What you are talking about is called "prosection" meaning that the cadavers were previously cut to delineate parts of the anatomy, and the students then go in and examine/search for all the parts in anatomy lab. That's actually something done at numerous schools (MD and DO). Most people I've talked to have said that its a plus, because you avoid the hours and hours of cutting through fascia and the cuts are more professional, so you don't have to deal with peers cutting through something important

As far as using the University of Toledo School of Medicine software, that's only for I believe Erie and Seton Hill PBL pathways (LDP and DSP in Erie have prosected cadavers). That has nothing to do with some recent "cuts" to the budget, its the way the curriculum was designed. Its been that way for years.

Last I checked, people from all the pathways do equally well in anatomy, the national anatomy NBME exam, and ultimately equally well on board exams, rotations, and in attaining residency. It doesn't seem to affect medical training, but is unfortunate if you like that sort of thing. There's an option as a student to also work in the anatomy department over the summer between MS1 and MS2 prosecting the cadavers, if you really want the experience. I've dealt with enough cadavers that it wasn't a big deal for me when I went through it, but I also knew I wasn't going to do something like surgery.

COCA removed the non-profit requirement a couple years before RVU, and the LCME removed their's in 2013. Prior to that no US med schools could be for-profit.

Reactions: 1 user

Because it has no bearing on medical education if done correctly. RVU has quickly turned into one of the best DO schools, and no students have ever complained about being "for-profit." The only shadiness I have seen from a for-profit school was actually CNU and how they are denying their students access to federal loans and loan repayment mechanisms.

And for all the supposed "issues" LECOM has I have never heard an actual student complain nearly as much as the people on here who have never gone there. No it isn't the best school for everyone but the ones who go there usually enjoy it, and they match well.

Reactions: 1 users

We have a shortage of physicians. If a for profit company can come in and produce quality physicians for less than what "non-profit" schools can do such then I personally have no problem with them doing so. Some of the "non-profits" are costing $60K+/yr, 250+ students admitted per year, and cramming med students in with a dozen other health profession students, along with limited opportunities for clinical training.

That said, profit schools should (along with ALL other schools) have a requirement to establish viable residency programs for numbers equaling 80% of their students either independently or in collaboration with private or public hospitals/clinics within 4 yrs or they are not allowed to admit anymore students. For profit school students should also be required to maintain ~average board scores, limits set on attrition, etc. as should any med school.

If it wasn't for for-profit schools in many other areas many non-traditional students wouldn't have degrees and successful careers and the educational landscape would be much more limited. Are all of them good, no! but they do serve a useful purpose.

OP Here, Please let the thread Rest In Peace.

Reactions: 2 users
Wait, so now LECOM is officially the first for-profit DO school?

With its weird policies and budget cuts, does that make it the DO equivalent of the Caribbean?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future

I do not think that is what is happening, its that the locales where some of its campuses and properties are located, the municipalities want to collect taxes. LECOM is still a "non profit" but its still an entity that makes money regardless.

What do I think?

I think you should get accepted into med school in the first place before arguing about "tiers" like a lot of other SDN nerds on here.

Bench players talkin' like starters.

I hate it.

Why is Western U shady?
This music video should place them above all the other med schools in the US :D