Do schools talk to one another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jackbauer!

Do schools talk/discuss applicants to one another? As the application enters the latter stages and schools are trying to fill their classes. I have heard that schools discuss applicants......is there any truth to this?

Discuss.

jb!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Do schools talk/discuss applicants to one another? As the application enters the latter stages and schools are trying to fill their classes. I have heard that schools discuss applicants......is there any truth to this?

Discuss.

Maybe, but who knows. There are enough applicants to schools that it seems it wouldn't be necessary to converse about the applicants.

Why would they bother? What could they find out from another school they can't find out from the app and interview? Maybe they trade potential candiates amongst themselves?? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
i think they would discuss an applicant if there is a red flag somewhere, such as a plagiarized personal statement.

There is as much of a chance of them contacting each others, as there is of them checking sdn and trying match screename to applicant.

less than .005% chance that they will discuss with one another

What would they talk to each other about? I think just with the sheer amount of applicants, and students that are accepted, it would be less than likely that they do; just not enough time during the interview season. This isn't the faculties full time job, most of them teach a class or two.

What if an applicant wrote the same letter of intent to each of the schools he or she was on the waitlist of?

What if an applicant lied and told school X that they had a huge deposit due at school Y coming up just to put pressure on school X to make a decision?

What I'm saying is that it's totally possible that a school may do some research on an applicant to see how genuine they really are or if they are lieing.

This may or may not be true....I just wanted to get others opinions on it.

What would they talk to each other about? I think just with the sheer amount of applicants, and students that are accepted, it would be less than likely that they do; just not enough time during the interview season. This isn't the faculties full time job, most of them teach a class or two.

still makes sense to report an applicant for plagiarized PS.

What if an applicant wrote the same letter of intent to each of the schools he or she was on the waitlist of?

What if an applicant lied and told school X that they had a huge deposit due at school Y coming up just to put pressure on school X to make a decision?

What I'm saying is that it's totally possible that a school may do some research on an applicant to see how genuine they really are or if they are lieing.

Interesting! But I don't think that will work..... if you do that, all they will do is give you an answer like "your application is still under review" then hang up! They have so many qualified people in front of you and behind you, so they will treat you as one of those who are waiting in line.

I know that in my case two schools were talking...when I was in an interview after Dec. 1st I was asked if im going to accept the offer from school X...When I asked how do they know about it I was told that they are "best friends" (the two head addmisions) and that my name just came up...I dont know how common that is, but it def. happens.......

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that in my case two schools were talking...when I was in an interview after Dec. 1st I was asked if im going to accept the offer from school X...When I asked how do they know about it I was told that they are "best friends" (the two head addmisions) and that my name just came up...I dont know how common that is, but it def. happens.......

If you are on a waitlist, the school usually will not change their policies regardless of what you tell them. After all, they probably have a number of people who are just waiting to get in right after you.

I think the only time that schools actually have any info on the same student is that time in May when they will look to see if you are holding multiple deposits. Unless I'm wrong. I heard that in May, if you have multiple spots are and holding them..a school can take away your acceptance, or tell you that you have X amount of days to make up your mind.

I don't know. Isn't this sort of illegal if schools talk to each other and "coordinated" which school was going to accept certain students.

I think your right, or at least unethical.

I don't know. Isn't this sort of illegal if schools talk to each other and "coordinated" which school was going to accept certain students.

Yeah, but since when does admissions obey the law?....they discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, and gender all the timE!

just tryin to stir the pot..

Yeah, but since when does admissions obey the law?....they discriminate on the basis of ethnicity and gender all the timE!

just tryin to stir the pot..

they can get away with the race thing because you can make up a lot of stories for that...but as far as this one is concern...it's pretty clear when they're sharing information.

I think jb is absolutely right, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if schools share info on who puts down deposits on certain schools. I don't see how that's a violation of any laws or anything. Just as applicants cover their backs by putting down multiple deposits, schools probably cover their backs by sharing who has put down deposits at their school. Not that there is some official network or anything for listing this information or anything, but it seems very likely that at the end of the cycle, schools will communicate directly with one another and use this information to figure out how many people will really be attending.

Starting This cycle 2007. All schools will distribute a list of those who have made deposits. This list will be effective on May 1st. So ... at this point the schools will know if you have two or more deposits... they will then contact you and figure out your intentions.--Are you planning or not to attend their school? etc..

Med schools do this, what makes you think dental schools wouldn't do it to some extent? My friend at Tufts said that Tufts and Boston U share the same list. No, I am not making this up.

Personally, I don't care if schools share the information. It seems a little crazy to think through how it would happen. Think about two schools with 2,000 applicants each, with 200-300 interviews each, and admitted classes of 50 students. Where in the process do the schools talk about applicants and what do they talk about? "Wait 'till you see this person's yellow shoes!" or "I couldn't believe the story I heard in that interview" Every time I call an office of admissions I get the sense that they have more than enough to do. It seems a bit paranoid to worry about this. But then again, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you don't need medication.