Do schools use GPA pre-AMCAS submission or pre-matriculation for their averages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinamin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Something to speculate... I learned that a lot of schools ask for a final transcript (some don't though) before you matriculate.. so I wonder if they re-calculate GPA since a lot of people take classes during the year they are applying, take the better GPA (compared to the one AMCAS calculated) and use that in their reports for averages? I know someone who's GPA will be very different between the time they submitted and the time they possibly matriculate...thought I'd see what anyone else thinks because then it kind of gives those still trying to fix their GPAs and possibly on waitlists a little hope?

Members don't see this ad.

Something to speculate... I learned that a lot of schools ask for a final transcript (some don't though) before you matriculate.. so I wonder if they re-calculate GPA since a lot of people take classes during the year they are applying, take the better GPA (compared to the one AMCAS calculated) and use that in their reports for averages? I know someone who's GPA will be very different between the time they submitted and the time they possibly matriculate...thought I'd see what anyone else thinks because then it kind of gives those still trying to fix their GPAs and possibly on waitlists a little hope?

I'd guess they use the one at amcas submission. Like, obviously they can't expect you to balance interviewing and continue to perform optimally. They judge you based on what you've been up to right before you submit the amcas grades-wise. For waitlists, I suspect that you just gotta show your intestes.

Most schools are going to use the AMCAS GPAs for everything. The MSAR pulls their numbers from the AMCAS GPAs.

It is probably in the best interests of the school to use AMCAS GPAs anyway. Consider that most students' grades are going to slip after they apply, have interviews in the middle of a school semester, then get accepted and don't really care much anymore. So I'm going to bet that the GPAs are going to drop on average. Sure, there are definitely a few hard working students who will have their grades improve in the meantime, but not enough to make up for the overall drop IMO.