DO shadowing and Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a recent convert, now a DO-wanna-be. My decision is based on research of programs and philosophies and information sent to me by some of you guys. I'm now sorting through application requirements planning to apply next year. Almost all of the schools require either shadowing of a DO and many even require a recommendation from a DO. I'm not sure how to go about this. It was my understanding that Adcoms wanted recommendations from people who knew you and your ability. I don't know any DOs personally, and I'm not sure how to make one fall in love with me this quickly. I am working full time and going to school to finish my pre reqs., plus studying for the MCAT, so my time is strained already. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to go about this? Do I just open the phone book? I am very interested in pursuing DO schools and trying to be resourceful as I can. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

mj- check out the string entitled "Western Status" below. Several of us commented on the how's and why's of shadowing a DO.

Thanks! I guess I'll my fingers do the walking. I've been wanting to practice my assertiveness skills anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same situation as you were and I was desperate...so I checked the yellow pages and called the DO's in my area....
On the third try (list of DO's), I got lucky, and shadowed him for the summer....
he already knew I needed a letter of rec. but I was honest with him, and I told him the situation I was in too.
At the end, I thanked him and when I got accepted, I thanked him again....
good luck

Most DO's understand the procedure and expect to be contacted by pre meds constantly. When I was applying, I simply called up a DO who was working for a hospital that I was also working at as a clinical technician. I did not know him at all. However, he allowed me to shadow him for a day, and wrote up a good recommendation. I was eventually accepted by NYCOM- his alma mater and my current school.