DO, should I go for it? If so, where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krispyyo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

3rd year DO student here. Seriously starting to consider ortho. Top 10% of class. Mid 230s Step 1, Mid 640s Level 1. No research and probably won't be able to do any. Not much EC's.

So, do I have a chance at ortho? It sounds like auditions are key, so I'll definitely do auditions. I'm not a douche and I work hard.

What programs are more "family friendly?" I want my kids to know me and I don't want a divorce.

Location-wise, I'd probably be interested in Corvalis, California, Missouri, and maybe Michigan, however I'm open to just about anywhere if needed. Let me know which of these programs might suit me and where I should focus my auditions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your scores are competitive -- it'd be great to get some ECs and/or research, but it seems like a lot these days depends on your away rotations. You will have to work your ass off.

Don't know if any ortho spots are family friendly. Most of them take a ton of hours. I know of a derm doc who was dating a guy who was considering ortho and she told him she wouldn't marry a guy in ortho cause of time demands -- he switched to radiology.

You have to decide if you want ortho cause of the surgery or if you like it because of the sort of people you treat in ortho. It might be better for you to do family med with a sports medicine fellowship/specialty. You wouldn't have to work the crazy hours of the surgery side, but you'd still be involved with athletes, etc.

Or do you want ortho cause you hear compensation is good? Only you can decide if the money is good enough to spend a lot of time away from your family.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey readdoc, thanks for your reply! I was getting really excited about ortho after realizing my scores may be competitive enough and it sounds awesome.

After reading program reviews on this site and orthogate, I was thinking it seemed that some programs may have more reasonable hours. It seems that's probably not the case, I've talked to a lot of people who say what you're saying. Because of this, ortho has dropped lower on my list of possibilities. I think the residency would be hard on my family and I.

I like your idea of FM with a sports med fellowship, that's something I hadn't thought of much. I've been really interested in PM&R too.

Ortho still sounds amazing and if I was younger and single I would for sure go for it. I'll be one less person gunning, so good luck to those who are going for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
i have 4 kids and am a PGY2 in modesto. This place is definitely family friendly. I have had an attending cancel a case because it was my anniversary and he sent me home. I have also been sent home to be with my family after long days a few times. Very family oriented in modesto. Dont listen to medical students who say you live and breath ortho without a life outside of orthopedics. I have 3 weekends off a month, just one brutal weekend a month and call about 1 in 4. Yes there are some busy rotations and nights you dont see your family for a few days but that is also offset by some mellow rotations. It takes work but you definitely can have family life (most of our residents have kids and are married, only one is not)

As to ortho work life - boy our attendings work hard but they also enjoy tons of free time. This was across the board at the places I rotated at. LIfe as an ortho doc is sweet. Residency is tough but once an attending you change peoples lives and make awesome money and have tons of time for family (if you set things up right). The trend has moved away from surgery in the middle of the night and outcomes have improved. Plus there are many ortho specialties that dont even take call. This is definitely the life man!! You wont regret a thing (yes a few times during residency you'll be wondering what you got yourself into, but the rewards always outweight them). Ortho all the way man! Take it from a dad of 4 kids, oldest 9 and the youngest 19 months. I make most of my children's soccer games and school activities.

You can read a good review of our program posted on orthopedic program review thread - and I was the 19 minute resident so surgical experience is by far phenom. I have 200 cases already (does not include reductions/procedures in the ED -- you need a minimum of 250 a year)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Orthojoe, thanks for your great reply! Geez after reading your reply I'm starting to wonder if ortho can work for me afterall. That's great to know that Modesto is family friendly and it's good to know that these types of surgical residencies exist. It sounds like an amazing program too and that you guys are getting some excellent training.

Being someone with two kids, it's nice to hear that there are ortho residents out there making it happen with families. I always imagined that I would be the only one who's not a young single dude without any other life obligations.

Any other advice is appreciated! Again, thanks for sharing your experience so far. I would be super happy if I could do ortho and maintain a decent family life.

Last edited:
Hi Orthojoe,

What is your opinion about your program's future come the ACGME merger? On that same note, your opinion about the future of other AOA ortho residencies come the merger?

Reactions: 1 user
To me lifestyle is a nonissue, ortho is so awesome that there's nothing else I can do and be happy, even I made a million and worked 3 days a week. If you genuinely are interested in Ortho, I encourage you to get involved ASAP, you're already behind the 8 ball. If lifestyle is your concern, don't waste your time, orthos work hard. You can have a better lifestyle doing other specialties with ortho-like reimbursement.

To me lifestyle is a nonissue, ortho is so awesome that there's nothing else I can do and be happy, even I made a million and worked 3 days a week. If you genuinely are interested in Ortho, I encourage you to get involved ASAP, you're already behind the 8 ball. If lifestyle is your concern, don't waste your time, orthos work hard. You can have a better lifestyle doing other specialties with ortho-like reimbursement.

Care to elaborate on "You can have a better lifestyle doing other specialties with ortho-like reimbursement"?

Care to elaborate on "You can have a better lifestyle doing other specialties with ortho-like reimbursement"?

EM and anesthesia probably make close to what Ortho makes per hourly. Derm, radonc, GI, pain, and senior partners in cards and rads groups probably make more hourly.