DO Specialty and International Work.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul3788

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. If you are a DO, and you want to go into Derm/ENT/Anes, then you would have to apply for a residency in the chosen field. If you don't get it, you probably would have nobody to blame but yourself.

2. Asia is a big ****ing place. DO's are recognized in a lot of places there.
800px-DOworld.PNG

GREEN: Practice rights generally recognized as equal to U.S.-M.D.s
OLIVE: Unlimited practice rights granted, but difficult to obtain
RED: Limited to manipulation-only
GRAY: Unknown or previously denied

3. You are about to get railed for asking these questions. They have been asked millions of times.

Oh, and lookie here:
http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=faq_cons

Thanks alot! I sorta knew it would of been asked alot. Just sorta lazy I guess. Im locking it now if I can thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I always forget that German DOs are completely different than here. Some reason I suspect that many of those european countries would make an exception after a substantial degree of work. I'm kind of surprised that DOs have tried going to that many places even. I wonder over what time span that is. I really don't picture a huge international crowd at american osteopathic schools.

I always forget that German DOs are completely different than here. Some reason I suspect that many of those european countries would make an exception after a substantial degree of work. I'm kind of surprised that DOs have tried going to that many places even. I wonder over what time span that is. I really don't picture a huge international crowd at american osteopathic schools.

You should visit NYCOM

this is a pretty big deal for me...

i've traveled a lot in the past and lived in a few different countries and i don't intend to stop traveling/exploring (at least on a part-time basis) when i become a doc...

this is about the only issue i have with becoming a DO ... it worries me ... but just a bit :) ... as you can see in the map above DO's have practice rights in many countries ... i would imagine for a lot of the countries in equitorial africa there wouldn't be any issues either if you're attached to an NGO ...

and when i graduate in 5 years i expect to see more green (on the map)

it's a good thing the Falkland Islands are green or all bets would have been off (that's a joke)

:thumbup:

:luck:

this is a pretty big deal for me...

i've traveled a lot in the past and lived in a few different countries and i don't intend to stop traveling/exploring (at least on a part-time basis) when i become a doc...

this is about the only issue i have with becoming a DO ... it worries me ... but just a bit :) ... as you can see in the map above DO's have practice rights in many countries ... i would imagine for a lot of the countries in equitorial africa there wouldn't be any issues either if you're attached to an NGO ...

and when i graduate in 5 years i expect to see more green (on the map)

it's a good thing the Falkland Islands are green or all bets would have been off (that's a joke)

:thumbup:

:luck:

I'm sure that 5 years ago there was much less green than today, so I can only imagine that 5 years from now there will be more green than today. I think people put too much emphasis on the practice rights thing.

I'm sure that 5 years ago there was much less green than today, so I can only imagine that 5 years from now there will be more green than today. I think people put too much emphasis on the practice rights thing.

It is amazing how quickly osteopathic medicine has grown, it hasn't even been 20 years since every state in the United States decided DO and MD are equivalent degrees to practice medicine. Who knows how the DO degree will progress in the next ten years.

It is amazing how quickly osteopathic medicine has grown, it hasn't even been 20 years since every state in the United States decided DO and MD are equivalent degrees to practice medicine. Who knows how the DO degree will progress in the next ten years.

was there an actual date/announcement of this change in equality?