Do state licensing requirements play

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok.

About the whole thing about state licensing requirements. Lets say I do half of my core rotations at a osteopathic hospital.

Would this prevent me from doing a residency in california? or would I be able to do a residency in california but be unable to get residency there once I finish my residency training?

Members don't see this ad.

lmbebo said:
ok.

About the whole thing about state licensing requirements. Lets say I do half of my core rotations at a osteopathic hospital.

Would this prevent me from doing a residency in california? or would I be able to do a residency in california but be unable to get residency there once I finish my residency training?

The only thing holding you back in California will be the number of people who want to get residency spots in California. It's insane how popular that state is, and for the life of me I don't know why.

Just get your L6 forms done early. If you do your OB/Gyn rotation at a hospital that has an Osteopathic program, just make sure it has an ACGME-accredited Family Practice program that residents rotate through. You otherwise need to do ACGME cores.

That's it. There are other equally tough states (Illinois, Pennsylvania, Florida, to name a few) that you will have to complete a mountain of paperwork in order to get your training license, but I haven't heard of any Ross students that have had problems provided they avoid a few potentially troublesome rotations (e.g., doing OB/Gyn at St. Johns Episcopal) if they want to go to Cali.

Talk with your advisor or someone in graduate affairs, Imbebo, if you're still concerned.

-Skip

> There are other equally tough states (Illinois, Pennsylvania,
> Florida, to name a few)

Oh, I thought everything is hunky dory in Illinois ?

---->
03-26-2005, 10:48 AM #70
Skip Intro

> New York? Illinois? Are you serious? From which Caribbean schools
> do graduates have a problem getting a license in either of these
> states? Where are you getting your information?

Members don't see this ad :)
f_w said:
> There are other equally tough states (Illinois, Pennsylvania,
> Florida, to name a few)

Oh, I thought everything is hunky dory in Illinois ?

---->
03-26-2005, 10:48 AM #70
Skip Intro

> New York? Illinois? Are you serious? From which Caribbean schools
> do graduates have a problem getting a license in either of these
> states? Where are you getting your information?

Nice, completely-out-of-context quote, troll. It's not a "problem" to get a license there (Illinois). If you carefully re-read what I said above, this has to do with the amount of forms you have to fill out - not the ability to get a license. So, you *****, everything is definitely "hunky dory" in Illinois. Or, if you disagree, perhaps this time you'd like to - for a change - actually support your not-so-thinly-veiled assertions with fact?

Seems to me that your only real intent of posting that out-of-context quote is to preserve your fragile ego (which apparently now needs to follow me around waiting for me to "slip up" or something). For anyone else who's really interested, I invite you to go back to the original thread from which that quote was snipped. If you do, you'll see that I was only refuting a specific bit of misinformation f_w was promulgating on that thread, the gist of which is his alarmist position that securing a license in those states is nearly, if not completely, impossible for most Caribbean-IMG applicants. Nothing could be further from the truth.

So, for anyone else who wants to see f_w in his true form (i.e., mostly clueless), click here to get the full context of the quote that he snipped above:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=186566

Now, why don't you run along and find something better to do with your time, f_w? Or, do you just have some deep-seated psychological need to be continuously humiliated?

-Skip

Wow! This is the first time I have ever seen Skip respond so harshly to a post. Ignore troll posters and keep the good advice coming Skip.

Jays2cool4u :cool:

*Laughter*

f_w said:
*Laughter*

Thanks. You're casting even more light on your true character. Give someone enough rope and they'll hang themselves. You are clearly deriving some sort of sick pleasure out of posting your misinformation here. You are proving yourself to be quite the troll, my friend.

-Skip

*More laughter*

Look girl, if it helps your mental equilibrium to call me a 'troll' that's fine with me.

It looks like you are an expert on how to structure your rotation plan that it fulfills state licensing requirements. But apparently you don't know how this knowledge has been assembled: By people being denied licenses in various states.
By now, your school knows the traps (like apparently OB at StJohns), but there have been a couple of people who paid dearly for this knowledge.

And it helps if you stick to the truth. I didn't say that carib graduates can't get a license in X,Y and Z states. I said that caribbean grads run into problems with licensing in various places, some expected, some unexpected.

traps ? wtf ...this is not a indiana jones adventure crusade

plz elaborate more on detail about these traps ? If there are still more .. where are they ? (hospitals and states)

Just ask skippy, she'll be able to tell you what combinations of hospitals to avoid in order to be eligible for licensure in every state ;-))

f_w said:
By now, your school knows the traps (like apparently OB at StJohns), but there have been a couple of people who paid dearly for this knowledge.

Listen junior, I just ask that you back-up what you say with facts. A "couple of people" out of the thousands of graduates? You don't think the school had plans to assist and rectify these "problems" you won't specifically elucidate or back-up with exact details? You're not being very helpful - when push comes to shove - are you now?

None of the people posting here care about what happened in the past. You continuously insinuate that all Carib grads will run into these problems, whether you expressly state that or not.

Now, if you want to imagine me as a girl to satisfy some sort of sick, sexual fantasy you have about me, then that's just fine. If your homoerotic predilictions can't temper your posting style on this forum though, better to recognize that and get professional help rather than attempt to exorcise your uncontrollable urges here.

Oh, and you're still a troll with an agenda. Read my tagline.

-Skippy

> None of the people posting here care about what happened in the past.

Yeah right, this is all in the past and therefore not worth considering for future decisions.

To the OP:
Contact the state licensing boards in the states you can imagine yourself practicing in and ask them for their specific requirements regarding the required clinical experience for graduates of 'non-resident' medical schools. It is not trivial, and if skippy could stick to giving sound advice instead of personally attacking me wherever she can find me, I believe she actually would have something to contribute to your question.

f_w said:
... and if skippy could stick to giving sound advice instead of personally attacking me wherever she can find me, I believe she actually would have something to contribute to your question.

:laugh:

"Hello, kettle? This is the pot calling. Just wanted to let you know that you are black."

Read my first response in this thread - then read the response from f_w. You be the judge of who's following around and attacking whom, as well as who's truly helping in trying to "stick to giving sound advice". Then, go click on that other thread and read it from start to finish.

-Skip

thanks, I guess.....

a lot more than I bargained for on this thread.