do statins reduce TG and raise HDL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iphetamine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Patients with dyslipidemia, specially mixed-dylipidemia, on statin treatment are they fully protected in terms of CHD risks?

I know statins can reduce TG to a certain extent, but to the extent of reducing CV risks, thus they'll need a combo of statin + fenofibrate?

Are there any studies, or reliable sources that say statins have NO or MINIMAL effect on TG and HDL?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

fluvastatin increases HDL

Not 100% sure about the other statins.

Patients with dyslipidemia, specially mixed-dylipidemia, on statin treatment are they fully protected in terms of CHD risks?

I know statins can reduce TG to a certain extent, but to the extent of reducing CV risks, thus they'll need a combo of statin + fenofibrate?

Are there any studies, or reliable sources that say statins have NO or MINIMAL effect on TG and HDL?

Thanks

Here is a link to a medscape article [www.medscape.org/viewarticle/589010]. I think you should find your answer there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most statins are used primarily to reduce LDL. The have a modest effect on TG. They have little to no effect on raising HDL. Exercising would raise HDL. Adding Niaspan would be good to raise HDL if diet and exercise alone are not enough. Please note glycemic control would have to be scrutinized if adding Niaspan to a diabetic. One poster had mentioned fluvastatin raising HDLs. I'm not so sure about that, but it's LDL lowering effects are poor in comparison to other statins. If TG are still high, perhaps adding a fibrate might be beneficial.

lol, at the end of the article:
This activity is supported by an independent educational grant from GlaxoSmithKline.

Reliable?

lol, at the end of the article:
This activity is supported by an independent educational grant from GlaxoSmithKline.

Reliable?

I don't know does GSK make any statins?

Just because a drug company sponsors a trial doesn't make it unreliable.
I know, right? It's like the lazy-person's journal article critique.

All statins increase HDL and decrease trigs.

What is the trig level needed to protect from CHD? HDL? You're talking about a few different things here.

I know, right? It's like the lazy-person's journal article critique.

All statins increase HDL and decrease trigs.

What is the trig level needed to protect from CHD? HDL? You're talking about a few different things here.

Thank god for references. :idea:

I would just go with a fibrate and maybe some fish oil. ;)

This brings up a question... do you recommend Lovaza or OTC fish oils? I know there is a difference between school and practice. :laugh:

This brings up a question... do you recommend Lovaza or OTC fish oils? I know there is a difference between school and practice.
I would only use Lovaza in someone who failed high dose FO or couldn't tolerate it. It's only indicated in trigs >500 IIRC.

It also depends on whether it's primary or secondary tx and if the patient has DM.