DO student interested in MD peds programs in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grm498

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in applying to allopathic pediatric residencies in Chicago. I emailed Rush and U of C to see if they accept COMLEX. Their reply was that they accept COMLEX but would "STRONGLY recommend" that I take the USMLE. What does this mean? I took COMLEX part 1 and do not plan on taking USMLE step 1. Should I take USMLE step 2? Do my chances for an interview decrease if I only take COMLEX? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For what its worth... i was in a similar situation this year being a D.O. student going for M.D. programs.
I did the same.. mailed programs early on to see if they accepted COMLEX. MOST, not all, of the programs that "strongly recommended" the USMLE did NOT offer me interviews
Others just as competitive that did NOT require the USMLE gave me an interview. The two programs you mentioned did not offer me an interview.
I've heard many D.O. students say "If they won't accept my exam, then how are they going to treat me as a D.O. during my residency". I'm not sure I agree with this...Keep in mind you probably will do very similar to how you did on the COMLEX if you take the USMLE....
My best advice is that if you can afford the exam and have the time to take it, and really want to go to these programs, then take it...
As a final thought, I got interview offers from programs I didn't think would be "D.O. friendly", while others that traditionally accept D.O.'s did NOT offer me interviews. The bottom line... You never know what is going to happen until you apply... If you have your heart set on certain programs then cover all of your bases...
It would be good to get some input from someone who took the USMLE as well...

thanks for the info. i appreciate it. i think i will take usmle step 2 just to cover my bases. we'll see what happens.....