MD & DO DO student looking for some info!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natem_33

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to anyone taking the time to read this,

I am a first year medical student at an osteopathic school. I know that thinking about residency already can be a little early since I’m only 10 weeks in, but I wanna set myself up for success early. I am highly interested in Ortho, I know...”people change what they think they are interested in during school” and that’s fine with me, but I’d rather still work on being as competitive as possible even if it does change. Maybe I’ll change my mind to another competitive specialty who knows, lol! But what I’m on here for is to see what I can do to really set myself up for success. I know research, crush rotations etc. but what I’m most worried about is step one being p/f. I wanna know what I can do as an osteopath student to really make me competitive If that test is p/f so that I can try to prevent any possible biases against a DO student who is being compared to an MD student who went to, let say Harvard, who also just “passed”. Any insight will be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll want to participate in research and rack up as many meaningful publications as possible related to the speciality that you’re applying. LORs from prominent figures in the specialty may help as well.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hello to anyone taking the time to read this,

I am a first year medical student at an osteopathic school. I know that thinking about residency already can be a little early since I’m only 10 weeks in, but I wanna set myself up for success early. I am highly interested in Ortho, I know...”people change what they think they are interested in during school” and that’s fine with me, but I’d rather still work on being as competitive as possible even if it does change. Maybe I’ll change my mind to another competitive specialty who knows, lol! But what I’m on here for is to see what I can do to really set myself up for success. I know research, crush rotations etc. but what I’m most worried about is step one being p/f. I wanna know what I can do as an osteopath student to really make me competitive If that test is p/f so that I can try to prevent any possible biases against a DO student who is being compared to an MD student who went to, let say Harvard, who also just “passed”. Any insight will be awesome. Thanks in advance!
Kill Comlex, as a DO you’re gonna go after traditionally DO programs and they know how to interpret that score. Then you have Step 2, which everyone agrees will be the big filter for MD programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tangible evidence of commitment to the field (research) and someone vouching for you (letters).

Obviously pass your boards. If you fail, goodbye Ortho.

Stash away or borrow an extra $5,000 for ERAS/interview season and throw out as many applications as you possibly can. Go to all of them. Rank them all. Pray.

Do all of that and you might just be an ortho surgeon in time for healthcare reform to shave 25-35% off of the current income median.

Good luck.

I just finished my ortho rotation about 2 months ago. I spent a good amount of time speaking with one of the program directors about being competitive for match. She said a decent amount of research in the field (5+ projects), top board scores, top rotation scores, and being in the top of your class/AOA will all help you match. It really sounds like they are looking for the best of the best, since the program is so competitive. And my program is far from a “top” program, yet they can still be this picky when it comes to match.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users